Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Satanic Bassists out there?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Sep 8, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The tone of some recent posts made me think about the fuss there used to be about bands who were promoting "Satanic Messages" on their records. Did anyone ever find any of these messages - for example if they played a record backwards? Or even write one themselves! And what did these things say - were they inciting you to go out and slaughter a calf, for example? I haven't heard anything about this recently - maybe it's because you can't play CDs backwards? ;)

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hehe, I remember all those 80s court cases with Judas Priest and Ozzie etc. what gob****e - I'm far more concerned about what people are saying fowards on records than what they're trying to hide in it... Why on earth would anyone with a message want to put in on backwards?

I think it all died down when people realised that it's not technically possible to record different tracks in different directions on a record, and that any 'messages' were pure coincidence...

Steve

3. Bruce Lindfield

Yes, I can't believe Rob Halford was in league with the devil - surely he would have got something more in return?

But Jimmy Page was reputed to be a Crowley disciple and lived in his house for quite a while. Aren't the symbols on Led Zep's 4th album supposed to be linked to some of Crowley's magic? Now I could imagine that Page got a good deal - some of his playing is definitely inspired by something "out there" or should I say "Supernatural"?

And what would any of the bass players out there ask for, if they met the devil at the Crossroads? ;)

PS
    I suppose another reason the fuss died down, was because the moral majority are now more concerned about the lyrics on rap records inciting violence etc.

4. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think those are Druidic Runes.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Yes but Page was (is) definitely into magic and I think these are seen as "symbols of power". The Druids were seen as "White Magicians" although Crowley was definitely a Black Magician - the last person to be buried in England under the Satanic rites - and in my Town, I've seen the Cemetary!

6. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Someone needs to invent a CD player that plays messages backwards. Then we can see what the backstreet boys are really telling us!:D

I always got a kick out of all the fuss over these backwards messages. Hell even played normally people were picking out messages. I still have that image of the one politician in the VH-1 Ozzy special, talking about how Ozzy put hidden messages at the end of Suicide Solution.

Real serious face chanting....Get the gun, Get the gun....Shoot, Shoot, Shoot, Shoot, Shoot.

Anyone ever seeing that episode knows what I'm talking about. I can't help but to laugh at that guy!!:D:D

7. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    And what would any of the bass players out there ask for, if they met the devil at the Crossroads?

I'd ask to be able to play like Jack Bruce. :D

8. Bruce Lindfield

But would it be worth it?

9. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    black or white magic, i'm still pretty sure those were/are druidic runes.

10. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA

Assuming that you werent joking, What work of Jack Bruces do you want to be able to play??
    Im not trying to be rude here. I've just never seen him do anything impressive. I'd love to hear some kick-a** playing from o'l JB if you have any song/Album suggestions.;)

As for me, Id sell my soul for the patience to learn how to read.

------------OK, and play like Victor Wooten:D

11. D.J

D.J

Jan 31, 2000
    I studied carefully this problem on these last years and there is no enough space in all this forum to talk about it!
    I can confirm that Jimmy Page was and probably is a Satanist and Robert Plant was always attract by black magic too.The only member of Led Zep out of this subject is JPJ since John Bonham was persuaded to follow Page and Plant as to this kind of magic.
    More or less the only Zeppelin song incriminating is "Stairway to Heaven" where there are many Satanic messages. However considering what Steve say about track's recording it's not possible that inside a song there is the presence approximately of six messages in a minute of it!!!
    I guess these messages of this song are pure coincidence.
    We have other examples inside song/s of Judas Priest, Eagles,Prince, Madonna, ELO, Rolling Stones, etc.
    I think we have to consider the musicians for their skills and not for private life but this is an argument which we have not to underrate because some phrase are not casual...

12. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    JMHAVRO, Anything by Cream, I particularly think Jack smokes on Crossroads, keeping up with Clapton's frantic guitar work. If you can beg, borrow, steal, rent a video called Cream of Cream by Jack Bruce it is quite humbling IMO.

Bruce, only if I could run faster than the hellhounds on my trail (not likely!) :D

13. 5156246

Sep 6, 2000
    Germany
    But the problem is, what the musician intended to do.
    Why do you add reversal satanic phrases?

You don't do that just as an experiment like the reversal drums in "Strawberry Fields Forever" (Beatles).

The intention behind satanic phrases is to suggest the content of the message. And I believe that this message is dangerous because why else do you hide it if you can say it normally in the right direction, too?

Dominik

14. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    "Do what thou wilt....shall be the whole of the law." ;)

15. Bruce Lindfield

Can you quote one of these "messages"? I mean, I've listened to "Stairway.." many, many times - so what's the satanic message?

The Eagles, ELO !? I would be fascinated to hear what these are?

16. well it might not be satanistic but if you reverse the intro to another one bites the dust by queen it says " hay hay hay its fun to smoke marujiana"

try it if u can

and yes it made me slaughter a calf

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i have never (NATAS EVOL I) seen or heard of any proof (LAP TSEB YM SI NATAS) or any conclusive evidence that proves that (NATAS UOY SSIK I) backwards masking in albums is (NATAS TEEWS YM ROF SEINWORB EKAB I) decipherable by human beings in any way when played forwards (YEKNOM EVOL S'NATAS MA I).

on the other hand, it is very easy to put backwards messages in music - record something, reverse it, there ya go. it's backwards. :rolleyes:

this is starting to sound more and more like off topic. :D :D. i can't wait to get my (NATAS EVOL I) grubby paws on this thread.

18. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Ah, it's like watching a video of an 80s tv preacher!! :oops:)

ELO included a phrase something like 'this song's reversable, time is not, turn back turn back turn back' or something like that... it was a gimmick - record it forwards having worked out what it would sound like backwards... The Eagles supposedly wrote Hotel California about some cultic stuff in LA - so cleverly disguised that it sounds exactly like it's about life in Hollywood... :oops:)

All those others have had the PMRC on their back for different things - Madonna for 'lewd behaviour' Prince for the lyrics on 'Darling Nikki'... etc. etc. Don't these people have anything better to do with their time?

Page was and perhaps is well into Crowley, which is a bit worrying - bit of a f-ed up bloke that Crowley chap, and his final words were, reputedly, 'I'm Perplexed' - he died impotent and riddled with syphillis - so much for selling his soul; in exchange for what?

Ah, the mistique of rock 'n' roll - like as though chops were a fair swap for one's eternal destiny... Why not stay out of league with the horned one and just PRACTICE YOUR INSTRUMENT!!!! As far as I'm aware, El Diablo didn't offer Robert Johnson mortgage terms on his soul... :oops:)

Here endeth the lesson - back to bass!

Steve
    http://www.steve-lawson.co.uk

19. D.J

D.J

Jan 31, 2000
    "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin would be at the top. This song conatins many backward messages. Here is one of them that occurs right at the very end of the song.. It says: "Play backwards. Hear words sung." The curious thing, however, is that there are no superimposed soundtracks on this song and the backward phrase is formed purely by the way the words were sung at the time the recording was made.

However, by far the most controversial backward messages on the song can be found in the following soundtrack. They say backwards: "Its my sweet Satan. The one whose little path would make me sad whose power is fake (indeterminate gibberish) There was a little toolshed where he made us suffer, sad satan."

Here is another version of "Stairway To Heaven" released by a group called, Far Corporation, that contains similar reversals saying, "Because I live with satan. The one whose little path would make me sad whose power is satan (indeterminate) There was a little toolshed where he made us suffer, sad satan." But I repeat in my opinion is all casuals like "Another One Bites The Dust". You can say and record this phrase and when you'll go to hear it backward your voice'll say " It's fun to smoke mariuana" too but it's a pure coincidence, even if this is a different case in comparison with "Stairway to Heaven"
    The cases not casuals are when messages are normally recorded and disguise inside the song but NOT REVERSAL!!!

20. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    JT, ROTFLMAO! :D You are one funny dude!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.