Any Schoeder Users Who Switched From Eden?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BigMikeW, Aug 21, 2005.

1. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    I'd love to hear why and what your experience has been.
  2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Tuning in as an interested party:
    also, specifically, how similar/dis-similar it the mid-bump between the two?

[Note: I would think the Schroeder's would have a smoother, more musical treble (even with the Selenium tweeter option).]
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    interesting question...

tho i have yet to try a Schroe, seems like these are the two more aggressive cabs out there.
  4. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Agreed, and I am not sure I want that very aggressive sound these days. That is why I was just testing the Accugroove El Whappo over the last 4 days.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am one, as you know.

My Eden Metro, and my experience with the D210XLT was great, with a 4 stringer. Yeah, the tweeter was a bit harsh, but that is easy enough to dial out.

The problem that I had with the Edens was when playing a bass that had a low B string. The small Eden boxes just couldn't do it at gigging volume. The D410XLT can, but is larger than I care to schlep around.

My 1210 handles the low B better than the Eden 410, believe it or not. And the 1210 is darned near as loud, too. And I much prefer the sound of the tweeter on the 1210.

Eden XLT cabs and Schroeders are both pretty aggressive, but do have a different overall sound. The low mid bump is not as prominent on the Schroeders, and IME the Schroeders cut through the mix even better than the Edens.
  6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Not eden, but "semi-eden._
    I came to my Schro 410 from an swr goliath III.
    The horn on the Schro is muuuuch smoother than the tweets on swr/eden to me. I typically run them full on.
    While not as bassy as an eden xlt, you *can eq it in easily*
    Schroeders cut thru the mix better than other cabs I've used, but I really wouldn't call them aggressive.
    You really nned to go audition one, in a live setting if at all possible.
  7. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I've had a lot of stuff in between but I owned the 210XLT and currently own a 1210. The biggest difference is that I find the 1210 has much more clarity than the 210XLT.

They both cut through the mix well. The tweeter on the XLT is pooh as you know, while the 1210's is really good. 1210 is louder and more portable.

What I find the most interesting about the 1210 is that boosting tone controls on my bass and amp don't make near as much difference in sound as when I'm using other cabinets. When boosting my bass knob on SWR 2x10, I can get this big, boomy (useless?) sound. With the 1210, all the tones seem useable - the bass knob adds some bass, but it never goes into boomy mode - stays tight.

I think one caveat with Schroeder is that while I believe it's definitely worthy of boutique status, I think it really is a mix cabinet. If you're looking for a really sweet woodshed cabinet, there are probably better choices. That being said, I don't think Eden is a particularly sweet cab either :)
  8. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Interesting...I've heard this said about Schroeders quite often, but I'm never that sure what it means. As long as they sound good on stage though, I'll still consider myself interested.
  9. DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    CaptainWally-what :confused: in your opinion are the really sweet "woodshed"cabs?...Just curious...Peace...DAcat. :cool:
  10. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    By a good woodshed cabinet with a sweet sound, I mean a cabinet that sounds particularly great at low volume by itself. A lot of pleasing aural detail is present and all the frequencies are nicely represented.

That's not to say a Schroeder sounds bad by itself - it doesn't at all. It's just not, IMO, quite as sweet/pleasing played by itself as Epifani or Accugroove. But obviously a lot of this detail and sweetness won't come through in most band situations. That's not to say Epifani or Accugroove don't sound great in the mix. It's that a lot of the little details you get in the woodshed simply won't come through. That being said, I think there definitely are some cabinets that sound great in the living room, but disappear or sound crappy in mix.

The way I reck'n, Schroeder is all about playing gigs and is tuned primarily with the mix in mind.

There are some TB'ers that just enjoy playing different basses at home and don't really aspire to play with a group or gig. For those folks, I might recommend something a little different than Schroeder.

For a working pro that needed a portable box to cut through the mix and still have good clarity, I'd definitely suggest putting Schroeder on the short list. Add also that it's a good value compared to the price tags of other boutique cabs.
  11. +1 on this comparison. I also notice a couple of comments about playing the 1210 with the tweeter all the way up. I know I sound like a broken record on this :D , but the Selenium tweeter option really allows you to get a good sizzle in your sound if that's your thing (and it sounds MUCH better than the tweeter on the Eden line). The stock Schroeder tweet, while very nice, does not allow the treble response that some of us look for. I like a very 'Marcus Millery' type tone, and achieve that sort of aggressive high end with the tweeter at about 9 o'clock with the Selenium.
  12. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i switched from eden to accugroove

best choice ever made