Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any shop with a 70-73 P. bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by watanabe71, Sep 2, 2005.

1. watanabe71

watanabe71

Feb 19, 2005
    Italy
    A friends of mine has tried my '72 p bass and he fall in love with it. Now he is looking for the same bass. I've bought mine from a guy in Canada, not here in Italy, becuse it's hard to find at a good price. Anybody knows any shop with a website with a 70-73 P bass? We have search on gbase, but all bass of that years was sold...

Of course, if i'm wrong with the "on topic" of this forum, please excuse me and ignore my post.

thanks,
    Franco.

2. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Get yourself on a waiting list with the different shops-Bass Central, Bass Northwest, etc.. I just put a ton of eMail APB's out for same thing-no luck. Wound up buying one off eBay.

3. beadgc

beadgc

Oct 10, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Here's a real sweet '73 at Matt Umamov's shop in NYC.

[​IMG] He's a very established, trusted dealer of vintage instrments. Only problem is, it sure isn't cheap! www.umanovguitars.com

4. watanabe71

watanabe71

Feb 19, 2005
    Italy
    Only problem is, it sure isn't cheap!

Somethings like 3000$! But what a nice one...

5. beadgc

beadgc

Oct 10, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Watanabe71--

Umanov specializes in the very best of vintage stuff (I'm not affiliated with him commercially, but I've known him for more than 30 years), and is best known for his stock of high-end, prewar acoustic Martin and Gibson guitars. One thing about him is that you can be sure anything you buy from him is 100% as advertised. If he says it's original, you can bet your house that everything from the body to the pickguard screws IS original.

That said, $3k, from what I can tell, is about the top of the range for a ~1973 Precision, and it's got to be pretty near perfect (I guess if you found one in a custom color, with the hang tags, etc, it could be even more). But I've seen more typical ones, with normal wear (dings, scratches, a little finish missing, etc) sell anywhere from $1200 to $2000. There's a nice fretless --not what you ant -- on ebay right now with a BIN of $1685, for instance, which is more normal.

So I bet if you're patient, you'll find one that you like that's more affordable. I'd recommending holding out for one that's got some wear or finish issues, or even some minor mods, but that still has the original body, neck, and pickup. The rest doesn't matter or can be changed back. I used to have a 63P that had been routed for a bridge pickup way back when, filled in, refinished, and was generally worn all over, but all the essential parts were original, and from a players point of view, it was just as good an instrument as a "mint" collectors' example that would have been worth 5 times as much.

Good luck.