Any short scale T-birds for sale?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CR3, Jan 16, 2021.

1. CR3

CR3

Jan 16, 2021
    Hi guys, I’m brand new to the site and fairly new to bass. I’ve been a guitar player for 30 years and am attempting to transition to bass for a new band. However, I have pretty small hands and standard scale basses are a workout for me to play. I love the sound of t-birds but they are like a telephone pole in my hands. Anyone have a short scale they’re looking to part with? Thanks for any help.

2. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    The only Gibson made short scale Thunderbirds were a limited run earlier in the last decade. They don't come up very frequently, they're a rare sight. But, if you're looking for thunderbird advice, head to the club: Thunderbird Club

CR3 likes this.
  3. jpmcbride

jpmcbride Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    If I remember correctly, Gibson only made 400 of them. I've seen 2 or 3 for sale over the last few years.

CR3 likes this.
  4. roycroft_88

roycroft_88

Dec 9, 2010
    Check out the new Epiphone Embassy. Might do the trick unless you need the T-bird look.

CR3 likes this.
  5. jpmcbride

jpmcbride Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    The OP was looking for a short-scale. Isn't the new Embassy 34 inches?

6. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Inactive

Nov 20, 2000
    Harrison Mills
    I bought one of those 400 short scale T-Birds when they came out in 2011. The general build quality was mediocre at best, the finish was unevenly applied and rough looking, the balance kinda sucked on the strap and it wasn’t comfortable to sit with. It sounded ok...but just ok. The only real strong point for me was that it looked cool....from ten feet away. What the **** was I thinking when I bought it? Thank gawd I got it from L&M who have an excellent return policy. This is a collector oddity, not something I’d ever recommend to a newer player....or any player really. Very little bang for the buck.

CR3 likes this.
  7. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug

In the Chinese marketplace, I've seen shorty "Tbirds" (w/neck through?) advertised. Of course, now that I look for them, I can't find them, but I know I've seen them. They start around €280, and go down depending on how many ya order. Only avail in black.

I imagine the build quality would be on par with current El Cheapos out of China. Caveat emptor!

I do not recommend going that route, I'm merely pointing out the existence of such basses.

CR3 likes this.
  8. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug

PS - Found it. It won't let me edit in a pic, so here ya go. And they are neck through.

Art.jpg

CR3 likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 6, 2021