Any Skateboarders?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SEPunkRock, Sep 20, 2004.

1. SEPunkRock

SEPunkRock Guest

Sep 20, 2004
    So. Cal.
    I was just wondering how many bass players were actually skateboarders or planning on learning how to skateboard?

For me, I'd like to learn. I just want to get some cheap one from Wal*Mart and learn then get a nice one. But first I have to fix my bass. :scowl:
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Dont get a wal-mart board... you will quit in a week.

Wavelengths can toss a good board together for $150.
  3. I skateboarded for a couple of years and then I quit because I broke my knee (not a result of skateboarding). Well anyways I had surgery and the recovering process was very difficult and well now I only skateboard every once in a while but I don't attempt to do anything beyond my limits since its very dangerous and hard falls hurt more now than they used to. For a skateboard I would really recommend an Element with some grind King trucks and Speed Demon Bearings. The rest is up to you but if your low on money I'd recommend getting yourself a blank deck because they go for about 20 to 35 dollars and its pretty much the same as those brand name decks only difference is the graphics. Oh and check out you can probably get a nice skateboard for about 130.00 or less.
  4. Yeah, you don't want a cheap one. A blank one, with Venture trucks and some inexpensive brand wheels and NMB bearings shouldn't set you back much, and will be absolutely fine.

I skate quite a lot, although I got injured a few weeks back so I haven't been at all. I ride a Habitat board, Thunder trucks, Ricta wheels and Toy Machine bearings.

Also take into account what size you'd like. 7.5 inch is quite thin and is good for flip tricks, but maybe as a learner, you might be better off with 7.75 inch, bit more stable but still perfectly flippable. I use 7.75, just feels more comfortable.
  5. Don't skateboard, but probably should have a go seeing as I plan to take a stab at snowboarding in Spain. :meh:
  6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Did it 2 months, seriously injured my hand while skateboarding...never touched it again.
  7. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I skated when I was kid... But, my son, (the one from MY BASS thread) is more into skateboarding than I was... He's always buyin stuff... Busting up decks, etc...

I will say that, if you really want to learn & you're going to put some effort into it... You'll need to spend some money. It's a motivator, cuz if you spend the money,, you'll MAKE yourself do it, to justify the expense. BUT, boardwise, those cheapo boards suck balls...

They're heavy, which limits the height on your ollies. If you can't olly to a certain height, you'll never get up on a rail,, or park bench, or whatever. Plus, The bushings on the trucks are always crap, which means you can't turn like you want... The wheels are crap, the bearings are crap...

Once you get decent, the mere act of doing tricks WILL damage your board. So, there's a certain amount of continual expense that exists there. HackJr likes Baker decks, Grind King trucks, & Spitfire wheels.

Even going low-end on skater-quality products is going to end up cost you money, in the long run... I mean, who wants to bust up a $50 deck in a month?

Also, There is a certain amount of pain that comes along w/ learning. Case in point, one of the first tricks you'll learn is an Ollie... It's where you stomp the kick tail, & it launches the board off the ground, to jump over, or off of objects,, rails, tables,, benches,, whatever... I guarantee you, you'll do it wrong for a couple of weeks, & each time you do it,,, the board is going to kick up & slam into your shin... Skaters wear thier pain, like a badge of honor.

Huh. Writing this out, makes a few things clearer to me, about my own kid... He's a HS wrestler & lettered as a Freshman. No matter how bad he jacks himself, he just keeps going. He's extending his toughness into skating.
  8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    You should be able to get any set up you want for that price.

Watch out for hand/wrist injuries when you skate.
  9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Is Stereo board company still up and operating?
  10. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
  11. I tried skating...gave up after 8 months when I realized I wasn't improving the way a skater should.

Right now I'm really interested in BMX though, especially since I lost my fear of heights (and thus, a half pipe). Of course, I say that now...

12. sorry dude, indy's rock the house. ventures are junk. broke many of 'em. I was on the hookup squad for Maple and Spitfire in my day. still roll around a little but i fell pretty good once and took a good chunk out of my hand. not too cool for playin bass... that and concrete doesn't splash like the ocean. :cool:
  13. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Indy's are the only manufacturer that has survived the transition from old school, thru to todays group of skaters... I rode Indys... They're a little heavy by todays standards, but they're completely unbreakable.
  14. I use to skateboard back in High School and haven't really since then. Still have my old board, BlackLabel deck, Tensor trucks, Lucky Hardware, Pig wheels, and Spitfire bearings. Still seems to be in good shape. I can still pull off some basic tricks, i.e. ollie, kickflip, but nothing near what I use to. Had several mishaps while skateboarding, but thankfully no broken bones, just sprains and the like. It's a great activity to pass time with, especially if you live in a small town like I use to (and still do).

15. hell yeah!!! i ride big boards and big ol' wheels too. It was so funny to see people's reactions doing huge 360 flips over trash cans on their sides with an 8 3/4" wide and like 33" board. hah!!!! going big rules!! well, so did having a 37" vertical jump. helped me ollie tons o' huge things..
  16. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    LOL, dude, I rode a Sims 10.5" board, w/ Indys, & Powell Bones... Now THAT's old!!! I found this old swimming pool that was drained... I friggen LIVED in that thing.

17. YEAH!!! my first board was the old Sims Kamikaze after Hosoi left the company and they took his name off that model. this was back in like 81 or something. it had Tracker trucks and the old wide 2-tone Sime Street wheels... complete with rails, nose guard, skidplate, copers and of course..... The Bird!!! anybody remember the lapper to help you get up curbs and not bust your trucks or kingpin??? haha.. i haven't thought about that in years...
  18. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Ok, check this out... I just did some quick surfing & was amazed there's a huge cult following of old school skateboard stuff... What should I find?

My old Sims deck, a Dave Andrecht sig model, LOL! TOO funny...

19. hah complete with gullwings!!! nice...
  20. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    That company sounds like a familiar name...why?