1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any Skaters out there?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tom once dead, May 2, 2010.

1. I did a quick search and couldn't find any recent theads.

I started skating about a week and a half ago and its starting to get less incredibly hard and more fun, but still painfull. Tonight I managed to do my first grind, and even dislocate my left shoulder! I won't be trying the stairs again any time soon. So any hardened skaters got any tips for someone thats not a total novice, but still not good either. I'm also wearing through my shoes real quick, got a hole in my converse and about to get one in my Etnies.
    let the skating discussion begin....please :p

2. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I like ice skating and inline skating, does that count?

3. You can inline skate at a skatepark, so I guess so?

4. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Skateboard here. I'm guessing everybody under 18 will show up here. I'm not real good, I just mostly get around. I plan to get a long board just cause they take rocky roads better.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I got my first and only board in 1978-79 (10-11 years old) and road it on and off until about 83-84.

6. My second real job was as the safety patrol/instructor at a small skatepark in Louisiana. I rode seriously for about 3-4 years back in high school, still jump on a board once in a while but don't do anything other than cruise along concrete.

I keep threatening to get a longboard and use it in all the little parks with sidewalks around town....

7. I dabbled toward the end of high school. My first-generation/genuine 60's hippie older brother left a homemade one behind when he moved out; a plain little slab of mhhogany, I would lay flat on it & scoot along the street. I hit a pebble one day & went down, upper lip first, onto a rough patch of pavement: Instant scab moustache. I would like to make a nice longboard, in a simplified Maharaja vein. NO TRICKS for this old geezer...

8. My brother skates alot and he's tried to get me involved before. I've tried a couple of times but to no avail. It's pretty impossible when your 6'4" trying to balance on a piece of wood with no balance. I did manage to make it go once tho.

9. Lurker79

Lurker79

Jul 3, 2008
    Hayward, CA
    That's why I played paintball. All the colors made the skaters want to pick up a gun a point it at me. Big mistake, you go night-night now. I'm too much of a gargantuan to skate. Falling hurts real good though, way more pain in skating.

10. I skated seriously from the time I was 13 until I was 25 or so.

Now I've got a long board and a bum knee.

Advice? It's gonna hurt. A lot.
    Seriously though, what worked for me was picking something new every week and work it 'till you stick it. Start small and work your way up.
    Finally, big soft vert wheels are super fun and fast on concrete, though you'll go through 'em like candy. And for gods sakes tighten yer trucks!

11. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I wasn't saying that only people under 18 would show up here, but all under 18 would. I don't know anyone around my age who doesn't or hasn't skated.

Longboards kill! They are great for when I have friends over. Cause it ends up one of us is always running (and the other is on the bike). They ride smooth and are great for bumpy roads.

12. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I have a cool longboard I made myself, but unfortunately as with someone else here, i have a bum knee and not enough time to ride it...I actually have another that's been "in the works" forever...maybe I'll just finish it an d sell it...it's made for 11" trucks.

13. bassman03

bassman03

May 19, 2008
    Sully, Iowa
    17 here and have never tried. Don't plan on it either

14. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    ^Party pooper alert!

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

Cool, I was just saying that I use to skate back when I was under 18 as did most of my friends.

16. i used to skate at the parks every waking moment haha, but then bass became much more important to me, switched to long boarding about a year ago and i freeking love it, screw driving when you can SKATE!

17. damn, so many long boarders. I was hoping some park skaters would dime in, but it doesnt look like there are any left.

18. stinger12345

stinger12345

Jan 24, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    I used to skate, but then I graduated middle school :bag: .

I used to longboard around my college town of Chico, but didn't stop after too long. Way too many cracks on the roads...and thieves.:scowl:

19. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    dadsnut.

True.

20. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    I used to have one of these...

fingerboard%E3%83%BB%E6%8C%87%E3%82%B9%E3%82%B1.