Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any skiers (or snowboarders or telemarkers) out there?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Phil Mastro, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    I saw Muzique Fann's thread on 30 footers, and I thought it was about 30 foot cliffs.
    It got me thinking about skiing, and I was wondering if the bass playing community had its share of snowsports enthusiasts.
    If you feel like ringing in you also share some of your stories of futur plans or anything snow related.
    I personnaly ski in Sutton most of the time, in the eastern townships of Quebec. Anyone heard of it?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I snowboard. I haven't gone once this year. The mountains have been closed all season.....no snow. They were open a day or two here and there, but that's it.

-Mike

3. Avid snowboarder for almost 11 years now. Conditions have been great up north. It's been blizzard after blizzard every week.

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Skier here! The closest I've come is Whistler Mountain, north of Vancouver BC. Beautiful spot! Been to all the usual state-side places, like Park City, Vail, and so on. Locally we only have peanut hills, like Mountain High (twenty minutes up on the lift, five minutes down on the skis :D), if we want "real" skiing we have to travel a few hundred miles, like up to Mammoth Mountain, which is a great spot, they have some pretty challenging runs up there. My favorite skiing so far has been in Switzerland (where most of my mom's side of the family is), but I'm only a dweeb compared to some of those folks, who get dropped off from a helicopter and ski down the face of a glacier, that kind of thing. For me it's mainly pleasant diversion, I'm not really a "serious" skier (except when I'm chasing a snow bunny, then I can push myself to surprising physical heights). :)

5. groovit

groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha
    Skier here for 15 years now. Haven't been up much this year, but I have been up instructing, not much personal time. I don't get out to the big mountains too often, I don't live in a good spot (NH), but I'm planning on getting up to Sunday River before the season ends....

6. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    snowboarding for about 5 years. Went to banff on reading week this year, good times

7. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Skier here, for over 25 years...so much so that me and the wife spent the first week of our honeymoon in Aspen.

8. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    Been skiing since I was 4. Was a ski instructor and ski patrol. My faves in the states are definitely Alta and Snowbird in Utah. Oh yeah and Tuckermans Ravine on Mt. Washington. As far as Canada goes the Bugaboos rock. It's all heli-skiing and it's the bomb. Of course now I live in North Carolina so I don't get to go much these days. The only skiing lately has been when I'm on tour in Colorado. Most ski towns you play out there will give you passes for the next day. So try to book days off in Colorado! Steamboat, Aspen, Breckenridge, Vail and Telluride will hook you up through the clubs to ski free. Just don't break something in the middle of a tour.

9. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I started skiing when I was about 6, and then switched to snowboarding in middle school. I went up to Maine for a week in December (Sugarloaf was good :) ), but I haven't been nearly as much as I'd like to.

10. Been a skier for about 15 yrs. Don't do much skiing up here on Kodiak island, can't ski here unless you want to hike first. Normally do some skiing whenever I go back home to Montana, however couldn't this past winter due to extremely low snow accumulation on the mountain.

11. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    You should be thanful. Try being a snowboarder in the midwest! I have to drive 3 hours just to get a 300' hill! :bawl:

I go to those type of places about 5 times a season, and then try to take one bigger trip. So far the only decent place I have been is to Sugarloaf in Maine.

12. buddahbass

buddahbass

Dec 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    when i was younger (16-23) i lived to snowboard. i worked as an instructor at seven springs (PA) then i moved to miami and the snow down there is not very good. since then i have gone maybe 10 times. i miss it but its just not the same anymore

13. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I've been snowboarding for about 7 years. I used to go a lot more but now I only seem to get in one or two trips a year.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Snowboard.

15. I've been riding for 8 years.

16. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I've been skiing for better than a decade, but in the last few year's I've stopped since blowing out my knee. I'd like to learn to snowboard, since it puts less torque on the knee... and it looks like a lot of fun.

17. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I've been alpine skiing for like 40 years. I used to live and work in Stowe VT, and later at Mt Bachelor in Oregon. I've done Masters downhills, mogul competitions, stupid tree skiing, hiking the cliffs in Utah, just about everything but helicopters and mega air. I can tele ski semi-competently, and started snowboarding on the old Snurfers, which had no bindings at all, back in the early 70s.

I took most of the last dozen years off, and put my energy into windsurfing instead. This year I bought a season pass at Mt Hood Meadows, and bought some modern alpine gear. If it would have snowed a bit, I'd have started riding seriously too. I used to run timing for some pretty bigtime alpine races, and I kind of miss that, actually. Skiing is nearly year-round here most years, and we see lots of national team members around here in the summer.

The music scene in Stowe used to be totally amazing when I lived there, but I've heard it's even better now.