1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any skydivers here?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ericman197, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I went for my first tandem dive the other day and it was quite fun. It wasn't exactly the blast that I was hoping for, but I think it will be once I can go solo.

If I keep it up, I think I'll be able to have my A license by the end of the season. That would be awesome.

Has anyone else out there been skydiving? I did it here: http://skydivetheranch.com/

Personally, I was quite surprised that I did not die or become horribly injured. Skydiving is actually fairly safe if you know what you're doing and are careful.

2. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Yes, I've done freefall skydiving with the US Air Force when I was at USAFA. The program there has no tandem jumps, the first jump is freefall solo. I found it to be pretty fun and pretty exciting. I probably wouldn't pay to do it on my own.

Skydiving is very safe if it is carried out in the way it should be. Most accidents tend to occur with the guys who are really pushing the limits or just doing something stupid or attempting advanced manoeuvers without adequate experience.

3. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    A surprise birthday present from my wife. $200 to go up to 4000 feet via ultralight then released. It was a tandem and the guy let me steer briefly but I was content to let him.
    I let him nosedive for a few seconds which was kinda freaky but any longer would've reduced my in air time.
    Total in the air time was about 20 minutes.

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I had my first tandem dive last year!

Great fun!

I jumped from 13.000 feet which was most excellent :hyper:
    http://www.skydivelasvegas.com

Took the chance to skydive when I was in Vegas last year.

5. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    my first time was a static line jump from about 6ooo feet. it was a blast. good thing i paid attention during the ground training because my chute twisted when it left my back and i had to spend a good minute or so getting it to untwist and open fully.

still not as scary as doing my first power-off stall in a Cessna though.

6. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Two tandems and a solo in my younger and more foolish days. It was fun, but not something I need to repeat.

7. I tandem dived this past July and would like to go again, but it's certainly an expensive hobby. One of the most exciting/fun things I've ever done, and would recommend it to anyone.

I did it here: www.skydivespaceland.com

8. I did a tandem a few years ago. It's something you just have to experience in life, I think.

9. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    i did static line from 4000ft in 1996. i flaired at 30 ft. when i landed i disintegrated my left knee and broke my left hip. i only have a 20-30 degree movement in my left knee and my hip locks on me all the time. i never had surgery as it's way to expensive and they cant do it orthoscopically anymore. i'm in pain constantly and am as flexable as a 2x4.

having said that, it was the most incredible thing i have ever done and i would go again in a heartbeat if i wasnt taking care of my dad.

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    My wife jumped out of a plane once...

11. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I been once, and it was one of the most amazing things I've ever done. Jumping wasnt nearly as scary as the ride up though. I had never been in a plane that small, and to be honest, it seemed safer to jump than land hehe.

If I could afford it, I would certainly get certified.

12. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    once Johnny...

13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :D ;)

14. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I knew you'd get it...hehe

It saddens me some people wont :)

15. I was thinking about starting smoking, now this clinches it.

16. I have many static line jumps all between, say 750 and 1500 feet.

3683_p53745.

3683_p53750.

3683_p53751.

3683_p53748.

3683_p53752.

17. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Ohhh man :meh: My parents warned me about that sort of thing happening. Is that common? Was it someone's mistake or just dumb luck?

18. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    operator error. i didnt have headphones and my altimeter, which from 4000-3000 ft, i could see. after 1000 ft since it was around my neck it starts to fall. i couldnt see it and just estimated my flare point. i was wrong.

19. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I was going to go on my 18th b-day, but I'm working. Oh well, another time.:meh:

20. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Used to jump...gave it up. I always felt like I was going to get sucked out of the jump plane while it was climbing. Decided there are other ways to scare myself.