Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any slap stamina advice?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by the_kev, Feb 3, 2004.

1. the_kev

the_kev

Sep 5, 2003
    England
    I really need to increase my slap bass stamina so i can play 'lessons in love' by level 42, it pisses me off really badly that i can only get up to the first chorus before i have to stop, any advice?

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Yeah, relax.

Tense muscles tire much easier than loose, relaxed ones. I'd be money the outside of your shoulders is what hurts, right?

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The way I see it, the best way to gain stamina is to practice for long periods of time.

Now, I think that you can, for the most part, improve in all areas from QUALITY practice, even over short periods of time(half an hour or so at a time) BUT, I think that the only way to improve your stamina and endurance is from marathon practice settings, that is, just playing, using that technique, for an hour or more at a time.

ya know?

and definitely relax, as pacman said, try and be as efficient as possible with your movements, and make sure your technique is good.

4. ratamahatta

ratamahatta Guest

Sep 8, 2003
    selah
    my bass teacher told me this the other day cuz i just asked him about slapping, he said 4 practice put like a drum stick or something through ur index and pinkykinda like the metal horns i guess (\m/) abns slap away. idk if it works though.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    eh I don't know about that, I've heard of it before, but I'm always cautious with things like that, ultimately, if you had the choice to do that drum stick thing, or to just play your bass...you should just play your bass, imo.

6. WesW

WesW <>< Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2002
    St Joe Beach, FL
    Ever heard of the Buddha rope? Designed by Bill 'Buddha' Dickens - its supposed to help with stamina....I've never tried it though.

I think you can get it from mighty mite.

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    The buddha rope would be to build left (fretting) hand stamina. I'll bet money the poster has issues with their non-fretting arm.

8. WesW

WesW <>< Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2002
    St Joe Beach, FL
    Ahhh, good point.

;)

9. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    yeah, just practice. you don't really need a rope or whatever, just practice man.

10. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I'd recommend practicing just your right hand slap rudiments w/ a metronome while you mute all of the strings with your left hand on the neck. Vary the position of your muting hand every four bars or so between the 2nd fret area up to the 10-12th fret area while still maintaining solid time. It's like you shifting every four bars or so from the 2nd fret area then... to the 5th... then to the 9th etc...

It's more difficult then it sounds.

It really works out your slapping hand. With all of the notes muted you're just isolating and working rythms. The location of the mute affects the tension and makes it more difficult to keep those rythms in synch.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Some great advice so far. Let me give some that hasn't been mentioned yet. Don't slap so hard! You can get a very decent slap sound with very little movement, and with a light impact on the strings.

12. the_kev

the_kev

Sep 5, 2003
    England
    I don't slap too hard anyway and i practice slapping quite a lot, do U know any songs that are good for stamina building?

13. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    A good way to practice is just to slap intervals. Try slapping and popping octave intervals. Stick with one note for a few bars, then move to another. You don't even have to follow a specific pattern. But it helps to move to an interval where you are slapping and popping on different strings. (ie slapping a A octave interval on the open A string and the 2nd fret of the G string, then slapping an E octave interval) It will help with stamina and coordination for both hands.