1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any slide bassist?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Plantbrain, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Plantbrain

Plantbrain Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Yes, I have a fretless also, but I've been using slide bass for about 2 years and was wondering if I'm the only guy around doing this? I cannot be I think. I use distortion and treat like a slide guitar.

It's pretty fun and gets many comments.

Regards,
    Tom

2. trashjazz

trashjazz

Apr 25, 2007
    Mark Sandman from Morphine used 2 string slide bass with distorzion. I love their music.

3. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    Endorser:Fender User:Rotosound, LaBella, Ashdown, Lindy Fralin
    I use a slide when I play my warwick and I turn the gain up a lot (I use tube heads)

4. i use slide.....but i also use a drumstick with cement rubber on it...:bassist:

5. asahobby

asahobby Guest

Jun 3, 2007
    I don't know about a slide for bass but if it works for you more power but I have used a violin bow occasionally.Put plenty of resin on the bow and it is close to a cello.Wait.. I just tried the slide thing and with a little practice it can imitate a fretless.O.K.

6. Plantbrain

Plantbrain Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    I typically use distortion with it.
    Add a tad flange chorus and off I go.

I have a fretless also, but this sounds quite different, you can mimic a guitarist pretty good.

I have a bass bow, yep, lots of resin. I played Viola as kid, wish I'd done the Double Bass back then:mad:

I have not messed with the electric bass and the bow yet much.
    Adiana Belew uses one on a guitar for some very strange music.

I'm thinking about going to a piccolo type bass and seeing how it sounds. If you wiggle the glass bar high up near the picks ups, you get sound awesome weird sound effects and it's great for severe harmonics.

Slow sliding works well also. I've done well using alternate tuning to get the root and the 5th. You can mow down most rhythm guitarists or at least hang with most of them.

Learning mute and curve for individual strings takes a little work, but it's relatively easy.

The cool thing is using it like a guitar, then adding it to a bass groove.

Funky slide blues distortion metal mayhem.

Tom

7. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    John Paul Jones played pedal steel bass on his two albums and tours. Friggin' awesome!

8. Milk eWay

Milk eWay

Nov 23, 2006
    IA
    i've messed with slides on solos on a fretless [clean, not distorted] (My father playes slide guitar all the time, i guess its infecting me :) )

Anyway, i like it. It sounds really cool when you slide only one note of a chord from say the 3rd to a 5th.

9. pedal steel bass? i didnt know such a thing existed.....

but i do use a slide on my bass, but its more of an effect than anything (as in no specific notes, more like sounds) i usually go past the heel of the neck and usually in between the two pickups on my bass.

i usually combine it with effects

10. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    photo_gallery7.jpg

photo_gallery12.jpg

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021