Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any software do this?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by PinkFloydDan, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Is there any software that exists in which you put in a CD and it transcribes the bass lines? Sounds like a miracle program, but my ear is not cutting it with these songs I am trying to learn. Each time I listen, I hear so many differen variations of the bass, the guitar, that I Am about ready to lose it. Pressure.

2. theres this software called "Transcribe!" that isolates and slows down tracks =D. I hope this helps.

3. I downloaed Transcribe and that doesn't do what I want.

These are not midi files. It is a song from my band's cd. I just wondered if there was something that when I play the cd, it can transcribe the song.

4. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    You might try a WAV/MP3 to MIDI converter (http://www.mp3towav.org/mp3-to-midi.asp), then use the MIDI for transcribing. In my experience, they are not that accurate. It's almost impossible to get an accurate transcription from an audio file. There is a program out there that specializes in extracting bass lines. I forget the name.

5. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    may i ask why you want tabs of your own bands songs?

6. Because I just started the band 3 days ago and I have 50 songs to learn, all originals. I'm not that great of a bassist, so it is taking a lot of time, which is fine, I am learning a lot, but we start major gigs in March.

7. billio

billio Bass Head

Couldn't you ask the previous bass player?

If I can't work out the bass line just by listening to a song, I use a program called Cool Edit Pro that allows you to split the song into several frequencies. You will then have a frequency band that is all bass but this will include the bass drum etc...

Not much help to you PFD, but If that doesn't work, I go looking for the tab on the net, which is invariably incorrect, and end up playing a cunning blend of what I THOUGHT I heard on the cd and what the tab author thought they heard:meh:

8. If I were you, just figure out the general gist, and just come up wth your own lines. What are you having trouble figuring out, riffs? Or the kind of moving basslines under some chords?

The thing is, if you can't tell what the line is, non musician audience members won't either, you might as well change it as odds are, no one else will remember the old one.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

No beating about the bush - I think you have to accept the answer to the question is NO!

And the more transcribing you do, the better you get and the easier it becomes - time wasted looking for something that doesn't exist, is time that could be spent getting better at transcribing!! ;)

So - the best advice is just to get on with it!

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I've been waiting for such a miracle device since 1972.
    :meh:

11. I am just going to buy one of those tascam bass trainers and work with it.
    I am moving along. I've got a month. The gigs are only hour long gigs, so I've got more than half a setlist down. Some songs have some serious, fast, triplet riffs.

I have tried coming up with my own bass lines, but sometimes, the band members ask me to play it the way the former bassist did and it is usually when he does one of those fancy fills or riffs.

Hopefully the tascam helps me out. By the way, like I said before, these are ALL ORIGINALS, so no tabs exist.

12. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I have been reading this thread. I admire what you are undertaking, and keep at it. We're pulling for you.

Also, in my book, the easiest/best way to face this is to just be very honest with it - both to yourself, and to your bandmates. Everyone needs to be on the same page about what is possible for day 1 v.s. what is possible for day 30 v.s. what is possible for day 90 of the gigs.
    The start of the gigs isn't going to be the end of you working on these lines. They either want you or they don't, and if they want you, they have to accept you Today. You shouldn't be pushed towards playing these the way somebody else did - not at this point. That's maybe for later. Later might mean months from now, or it might mean days or weeks from now - that depends on your current abilities and the work/time you can put into it. But no one will be served if you pour too much energy into anything complex In Advance of getting the basics down cold.

These types of pressure situations need to be approached incrementally, in stages. First get the songs down playing roots. Then get the songs down playing more, and so on. As long as you know the structure of the songs, if you do nothing but play roots cleanly and With Authority on the first gigs, you already succeeded. Aspire for more, but if you take it one stage at a time, and you Fully Complete each stage, you pretty much Have to succeed.

Also occasionally remind yourself to Enjoy the journey. :)

13. Thanks a lot!! I appreciate the support. Despite the stress, I am enjoying the journey. These guys are awesome and my former band was an awful experience I stuck with for almost 3 years.

This is a great fit. They seem to enjoy my company and my playing. It's fun!!

14. billio

billio Bass Head

Well said:bassist:

15. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Great to hear. That's a blessing. It's not always so easy to find the right situation. I'm very grateful to have the band I am in now, and I know too many people with strong desires to hook up with the right band but haven't found it yet.

Keep us posted.

:bassist:

16. I performed pretty well during Saturday's practice. We ran through about 18 songs. Songs I heard and said I doubt I can ever learn them, I Picked up in a week, partially thanks to Steve Lehman, a friend from Canada who helped me with a few things--mainly one tune that was played with double notes (I wondered why it sounded like something was missing).

I think I impressed the guys last night being able to jam on those tunes. I nearly hit them perfect. I had 1 note wrong in the entire thing and it was easy to adjust.

16 songs after 4 practices with these guys. I am doing much better than I thought and I should be in prime playing condition come our first gig March 4 and the rest of march which is booked.

I feel good