Any Solid State amps that sound warm or not sterile?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by modulusbassist, Aug 20, 2001.

1. I guess this is an oxymoron to look for a solid state amp that's a little on the warm side?

Any opinion? Tubes are just too much hassle and maintanence. Don't get me wrong, I love tubes, just want to see what people think
  2. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Ampegs, for one are warm. The SVT 3 and 4 are hybrids, while the B-2R, B-4R, and B-4R are totally solid state.

The Mesa/Boogie Simulstate amps are also quite warm.

If you don't have too much money, just get a Sansamp.

There are plenty of warm, solid state options out there.
  3. Thank you for the tip, I still hate hybrids, my friend has tubes, hybrids and 100%, can't handle the abuse of the road and biasing those tubes are a pain.

But thanks for the tip, I'll see how they Ampegs and Mesas sounds like. Liked the Mesa guitar heads though, cost an arm and a leg though.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Buy your favorite SS amp, and put a SansAmp Bass Driver DI in front of it. There y'go.
  5. Definitely worth checking out the Ashdown ABM series.
    Had my 500 for over a year now and love it.
  6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Well there are plenty of companies that have a tube preamp and SS poweramps. They are every bit as reliable as a full SS amp and you don't have to bias the preamp tubes.
  7. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    If you've got the cash, the Mesa/Boogie M-2000 is nice and warm and has a plethora of tone-shaping options. Ampegs are warm too, much different tone than Mesa...
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well my Eden WT300 hybrid - tube pre-amp - has been lugged around with me everywhere for several years, in a thin rucksack. It's been dropped several times and the case is chipped etc. But it's been completely reliable and has always sounded great.
  9. Carvin's redline amps are completely solid state, but have a tube emulator. I don't know what they sound like with the emulator though.
  10. Galien Krueger RB800, no tubes, the warmest SS head on the market.
  11. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    The Ampeg solid state gear that I've played includes a B2R, B-100R combo, and a B2 combo. All three of these had a nice warm, round tone. Very tube-like.
  12. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    The G-K 800 RB without a doubt. It's DI sounds great as well.
  13. Ditto to the comments on the Ampegs and Ashdowns, both are very warm sounding amps. I just bought a Yamaha NE-1 parametric EQ, and it's got my Fender Bassman 60 sounding so warm and round, it almost sounds like a different amp. I haven't tried the sansamp yet, but, I'm starting to realize that these little boxes are little miracles as far as bettering one's tone is concerned, and they're pretty inexpensive. Check the NE-1 out.

Mike J.
  14. A GK 800RB as warm? Sheesh...I dunno where you people get that from! One of the coldest and "hardest" heads i've ever played through.
  15. If I had to pick a single word to describe the tone of my Ampeg BA-115.. I would choose warm.
  16. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I agree with Nil about the GK's: I've never owned one, but the ones I've played and heard live sound very cold. Not bad, just cold. I think the Sansamp is amazing. I was skeptical until I tried one, and it warmed up my Carvin head like crazy. My Carvin has a tube preamp, but the Sansamp sounds much better than the preamp tube. Now, I turn the preamp blend to solid state, and rely on the Sansamp to warm up the sound. Great little box.
  17. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I love GKs, but yes, they are not warm. I suppose they can be, if you tweak the EQ, but flat they are very clear and crystalline.
    Think of Ampeg as a big mug of comforting hot chocolate and Gallien Krueger as a tall glass of cool, clean water.
  18. Put very nicely EString! :D

That would have to put SWR as the Evian of amps? ;)
  19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    My Amplified Music Products BH-420
    My Ampeg B-100R combo
  20. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Hartke is'nt too bad IMO