Any State Police Officers? (Specifically NJ)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    I aspire to be a NJ State Trooper once I'm out of college and I just wanted to know how you prepared for the 26(?) week training. The physical and mental aspects of it.
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    That is so not punk.
  3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    Mike, shut up..

go to sleep, don't you have school in the morning?
  4. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Don't know anything about the mental aspects of an NJ State Trooper, but in Australia applicants have been known to be rejected from the police force for being "too intelligent". :rollno:

I'd suggest you call the State Troopers and have a chat to some of them.
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    My brother is a NY state trooper. He exercised like a machine, every day, got in the best shape of his life. -that will actually help you on both fronts. Good luck Clay, I'm sure you'll be a good one. No one in his class got "Australia'd" out. Mark, that's because your nation started as a penal colony. ;)
  6. I've heard the same thing can happen in the US from what I would consider a reliable source of info for the most part, not to say it's deffinately true.
  7. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I sincerely doubt that you can be kicked out for being too intelligent. I have a friend who has been a part of the police force out here in cali for years and is currently a member of mensa.
  8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I can't answer for the practices of local sheriff's but that's BS. Sounds like someone is embaressed that they flunked out of the academy.
  9. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    On a side note, most the cops I know are drinkers and pretty rowdy folks. My stepdad is a cop. However every State Trooper Ive ever met was straight as an arrow and really took their jobs very seriously. I wonder if thats native to Texas Troopers or if thats similar in other places.
  10. Whoa, I just noticed the guy's name was Robert Jordan. Like the author.

I would imagine that rather than being embarassed, the fellow was proud, although I don't think what he did qualifies as flunking.

EDIT: I forgot the most important and rewarding part of being right about something.

"I told ya' so! I told ta' so!"

There now I feel.......mature
  11. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    I am a Police Explorer and hope to become an officer someday. At the Explorer Police Academy (boot camp) I went to, I noticed that the instructors who were local officers were more lenient and laid-back than troopers. This is not to say the local guys are not professional because they very much are. The troopers are just tough-as-nails, strict, serious guys. A lot of Connecticut State Troopers came from the military, and I have heard stories that even ex-marines found the CSP Academy to be incredibly challenging. It seems that in many states, the State Police are trained to a higher standard than municipal police, most likely because they often have to work alone, esp. on highways, and the fact that they have jurisdiction over the entire state.

12. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    That is crazy that they discriminated against that guy, but that is more likely an isolated incident and not a policy that all police forces hold.
  13. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Does that word make anyone else laugh?
  14. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Is state trooper something like CHP?

Like unlike CHP state troopers acctually do work correct?
  15. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    And they aren't near as good looking as Eric Estrada and Larry Wilcox aka Ponch and Jon.

brad cook
  16. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Tsk tsk, Brad. You violator.
  17. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Better send him off to a penal colony.... :D
  18. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US