Any Stu Hamm Urge I owners out there?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Nov 2, 2001.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    In my thrashing and gnashing regarding a new shorter-than-34"-scale bass, the idea of a Fender Stu Hamm Urge I has just now reared its ugly head.

Anybody out there have one that can comment? I think the Urge II is USA made, but I've heard the Urge I was MIM (OK by me - keeps the price down!).

Any comments about how hard these are to find, and what fair market is?
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The original Urge was made in the good old USA. It had the same JPJ pickup configuration as the current Urge II and Kubicki electronics. Response to the instrument was less than favorable, which is why it was retired after about three years and fetches a rotten resale price ($600-800, regardless of condition).

There was a cheapy short-scale, P-pickup-less Urge made in Mexico that went by the name Urge Deluxe or Special Supreme or something. (Ever notice that the more grandiose the name, the more downscale the instrument?)

For a comically vituperative dig at the Urge and Fender in general, see this review at Matt Schmill's site:

If you got the bux, I'd recommend a Stanely Sig Alembic for short scale hijinks.
  3. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Actually, the cheap MIM version may be more to my liking (and budget). I'm looking for an alternative to a MIM Jazz, and can live without the P pickup.

I've also read that 32" scale versions of some Fenders are available in Japan, and can be purchased by US buyers and shipped here. That's another option, but kinda scary to contemplate.
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I would've bought a Kubicki X-Factor instead.

IMO he had a way, way better sound back then.
  5. mmm, kubicki exfactor, god i could use one of those. nice sound, great for tapping, and the wonderful short scale, for my tiny fingers(only a factor really, the ex factor, pardon my pun, for doing stretching for chords and what not) but i'd really like to get my hands on one of those, cause recently i've been working on figuring out flow my tears, by stu himself, and i got the first part down, but then he does this stretch that i just can't do, and moving from that position to get that note just isn't feasable in the playing of it. just can't get the pinky to go far enough. damn my small hands, but that shorter scale would be just enough to let me probably. drives me insane, cause the parts not even terribly hard except the stretch(of course then i'd have to figure out the big fast tapping section, which'd be really hard) anyway just my ranting, i just came from the total frustration of trying to learn that song, so forgive me.
  6. maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I don't agree. Check out his fusion work with Frank Gambale, awesome!!! His latest album "Outbound" is great too.
    Stu put a P pickup in between the two kubicki pickups on his Xfactor bass. Guess he didn't get all the sound he wanted out of it. I think fender owned kubicki back then so maybe he got a better deal with them if it said fender on the headstock.
    I've owned both a Xfactor and an Urge I. I liked the Xfactor better.

The mexican Cheapo version was called urge standard. I still have the old fender catalog here somewere
  7. well...umm..if this post attracts any Stu Hamm fanatics..I have this..ahh..friend...... who wants the tab for Kings of Sleep.....thanks bye
  8. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    There's an Urge Standard on eBay right now (only about five miles from here, too!), but no $$$ at the moment. Damn.

It would make a fine alternative to a MIM Jazz for me.
  9. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I remember the ex-Factor...played one once. Had a nice feel and good tone. Anybody know why the ex-Factor didn't fare well? What ever happened to it?
  10. leper

Jun 21, 2001
    i didnt really like the exfactor, but the 34 scale factor is pretty awesome. The fretted ones are pretty cool, the the fretless are AWESOME. they honestly dont even sound like a bass, more like a keyboard. if i had disposable cash... :)
  11. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The X-Factor is still available, but not at X-Fender prices. Kubicki bought the name back and produces them as custom jobs.