1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any suggestion on Bartolini Jazz Pops

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pedroims, Feb 26, 2008.

1. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    My wife gave a $ 100 usd gift certificate as bday present, the certificate is valid for the music store where I usually do all my shoping.

Since I am all set with string, stands and basses, effect etc. I am thinking to upgrade my cheap yamaha , is a BB404, with new pick up, at the store only have Bartolini and Fender pops, which model you would recomend me to buy to replace the yamaha stock? The bass is passive.

I really appreciate your input, any other idea how to spend $ 100 at the music store is more than welcome

2. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

That's tough cuz Bartolini makes a lot of different pickups. I would first doublecheck the dimensions of the Yamaha Pickup.
    Some companies that make their own pickups use non standard dimensions.
    Sometimes off only by a little bit.

3. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    i would get a bartolini preamp & make the bass active. it will be more than a 100 bucks though.

i just did this to my MTD & it sounds great

4. I've got a set of Bartolini jazz bass pickups that I love to death. They have made there way in to whatever ends up being my main bass for going on 18 years now. 9S. I have no idea if they still make this model or if the new ones are similar or what but these are great. I think I spent about 90 bucks on them. In like 1991. Probably not the most up to date or helpful information. Good luck.

5. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    Barts are very warm and quiet, what kind of sound are you looking for?

6. jacostilllives

jacostilllives

May 4, 2004
    I just installed some barts on my fender jazz active V and they rock hard. They are the "classic" model and i guess according to what i have gathered the "classic" series have a little more output than their normal Pups. The ones i got were the lowest model for the fives. If i recall correctly the lowest model have more warmth the middle model have more highs and the most expensive are "deep" according the manufactures booklet that i flipped through before buying them. I can agree with previous posters saying that they seem to be a little warmer. Much much clearer than the stock noiseless that came on my fender and also very quiet. But i also have the dual coil noise canceling ones too. Defiantly worth the money for me figuring i payed 125 bucks for the five string jazz pickups. They seriously kick butt.

7. I'd check out the bartolini website and look at dimensions and voicings and also I second the active preamp advice. +1 to an 18v NTMB.

www.bartolini.net

8. Koeda

Koeda

Aug 21, 2007
    Nashville
    +1 on depends what you are looking for in the sound
    +1 on the Bart Classics - have the dual coil version and just love 'em.
    David

9. Puru

Puru

Mar 13, 2006
    Alachua, Florida
    I put a Bart 9J1 in the bridge postion on my BB404. The tone is considerable clearer than the stock pu. I'm very happy with it.

But watch out--the pickup cavities on my bass are for two long (bridge size) pups. The shorter standard neck size pu won't fit in the routings for the mounting ears. Measure the distance between the screws on both and see if they are the same before you buy a jazz set with long and short pups. Right now I've got 2 bridge pups in my 404.