1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any Suggestions? AMPEG 4x10HLF vs AMPEG NEO 1x15 w/2x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eppy92, Dec 12, 2011.

1. eppy92

eppy92

Dec 12, 2011
    My current rig, consist of the following:

Ampeg SVT- 4Pro
    Ampeg 4x10 HLF

I was enjoying the sound playing out of this rig for a few years, using a *4 string Fender Precision Deluxe. *I decided to it was time for a 5 string, therefore lately I have been playing with a Sadowsky MV-5 (pj hybrid). Since I have been using the Sadowsky, I have noticed I'm not getting the same sound, which ofcourse I expected. *To describe, at best, the tone is not as warm, as I would like, lacking bottom end...and to sum it up: the amp sounds as if it's "farting!" *I have a/b the Sadowsky with another rig consisting of 4x10 & a 1x15, and the sound was rich, fuller, with plenty of bottom & mids

I have made adjustments on the eq, on the amp, and practically I have completely cut the bass/treble boost on the Sadowsky, which is very powerful, when performing. *

My question is the following: due to playing a powerful 5 string bass, through a 4x10, could this be the reason my tone sounds off?*

*If someone could lend some advice, or suggest, I *would really appreciate it. *I have also been eyeing a couple of cabs, which perhaps may be the way to go in order to find a solution. I have been looking at Ampegs Pro Neo Series, a 1x15 with the 2x10...any advice?

Thank you!

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yep, look at the threads that pop up almost daily asking about mixing cab types, and the constant, weary explanations from real experts as to why that is not as effective as a pair of matched cabs.

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I don't think the cabinet is the problem, unless there is a broken driver.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Congratulations...you are the very first person I've ever heard of who thought the 410hlf was lacking in bottom end. Sounds to me like you're boosting the crap out of your low end with that Sadowsky just because you can, which causes a ton of wattage to be diverted to pushing lows (lows require a lot more wattage to be pushed loud), which in turn is causing your cab to fart out early.

So your solutions are to either use a more moderate EQ with the Sadowsky or add a second 410HLF. Going Pro Neo would be fine, but you're trading a 410 for a 210/115, which will give you about the same volume and wouldn't cure your problem.

Also, quotation marks should only be used when you're quoting someone ;)

5. wonderjosh

wonderjosh

Nov 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    Too much bass EQ on the amp or too much gain or EQ from the Sadowsky. O_O

6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I don't think it is the boost only lows on the Sadowsky, as he says they are cut (not boosted). Is it possible he is clipping the 4pro preamp?

7. eppy92

eppy92

Dec 12, 2011
    Thank you for the suggestions. Yes, I have cut the boost completely, bypassing the pre-amp on passive mode on the Sadowksy...

8. Sinomis666

Sinomis666

Apr 16, 2011
    I stopped usin my sadowsky preamp when I purchased my 410 hlf I can get all the highs & lows I can take out of the hlf