1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any suggestions for a 5 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sidbyrnes, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Long story short: I have been playing guitar for 15 years- We needed a bass player in our band so i "temporarily" filled in- I played "I wish" by Stevie Wonder last summer and I have been hooked ever since, I cant put the bass down! Anyway, we have a spring /summer full of gigs and I need to buy my own bass- Im borrowing an Ibanez SG Prestige 5 (out of this world!). Im pretty sure I'm hooked on this guitar but I can't find any like it? It's bubinga/wenge with stock Ibenez p/u's.
    I've played a fender jazz 5-i hate it, a washburn 5- nothing special to be, cheaper ibanez sg's-yuck. I dont have any guitar shops within 200 miles that have more than 20 basses to look at...Any ideas?

btw im currently playing through a berrighnger head (sucks) and a big ben (sounds good outside,lol). I feel like I need to add some 10's and a nicer head to the big ben (1x18) any idead for that?

I play rock/funk/blues//jazz/- no metal really

2. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Describe the neck size, feel, finish of the ideal bass...the one you play--the one you want --and you'll get some suggestions.

I'm a huge fan of the G&L Tribute L2500, but the neck felt enormously thick when I first picked it up. Took some time to get used to it, but now love it. Very versatile bass.

3. Ahh. Thanks, I like the 34 inch scale and smaller nut size. I don't mind small string spacing because I played slap on my guitar before playing bass and the SG Prestige feel like here is tons of room to me.
    Looks: I prefer a natural look, not a big fan of painted guitars or pickguards. I like a oil finish, even though it will get beat up. Same with the neck, i kind of prefer an oil finish.

Basically, I like a medium size body (it can be heavy, I like that too), small nut and thinner neck. I will DEFINATELY check out that G&L though, I just have to find one to play first!

4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    The Ibanez Soundgear line has been revamped several times over the years, so you might not be able to find the exact model that you're borrowing, but they do make a couple models with wenge/bubinga necks currently. If you like the Soundgears, I'd probably look for one of those, or maybe one of the ovankol-necked Warwicks.

Mike

5. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
  6. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    IMO a warwick corvette would suit you fine :)

7. JonW

JonW

Mar 10, 2009
    Indiana
    Take a gander at this video review of the 4 string version. Interesting. I think it's an amazing amount of versatility in the sound.

8. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    If you like the thinner neck of the Ibanez, but want significantly higher quality, consider a Pedulla Rapture. But buy used, you can find them for about 40% of the new price.

9. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
  10. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    A budget figure would be helpful for us to go by.

If you're somewhere around a grand (USD), you'll have TONS of choices both new and used.
    Used? Ernie Ball Sting Ray 5-though it might be a bit wide at the nut for you.

New? Ibanez, Yamaha, ESP, Carvin and on and on...

I would've suggested a Peavey Cirrus or a Schecter Riot but those are both 35" scale. But both are very good basses IMHO, of course.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on...

11. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Go to the classifieds here and pick up a Dingwall Afterburner I.

12. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    I highly suggest looking on the classifieds on TB - both of my main 5's I bought off of here.

13. Thanks guys. Im looking at pics of that tobias right now..

14. are the "toby" 5's worth the 500-600 range? I thought i would make an offer on a tobias killer b but its no longer available.

15. ceedubya

ceedubya

Mar 26, 2009
    UK
    If you have a limited budget, don't overlook the epi EBM-5. You can (periodically) find them on UK ebay

16. is that an epiphone?