Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Suggestions For a New Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Octopikiller, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Octopikiller

Octopikiller

Sep 7, 2002
    San Diego
    Hey, I'm thinking (seriously) about getting a new bass instead of just putting new pickups in my Ibanez GSR (convienently there was a post a couple of weeks ago with a guy in the same position as me). Anyway, as most of you are more knowlegdeable than I am, I was wondering if you could give me suggestions for a good bass for about 750 or 800 tops (im only 14 I don't hav a lot of money). Im not really sure 4 or 5 string either but perhaps I could get advice on that one too. And this is the right place to ask this right? Well thanks.

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yep, this is the right place to post this.:)

Could ya give a little more info?? Like what kind of music you'll be playing with it and stuff??

With your price range, you have quite a few really good options. And if you would go used, the doors really open up then. It all depends on which route you wanna take.

As far as getting a 4 string or a 5 string, I personally prefer 5 strings, not just for the notes below low E, but also for the added range without changing positions. Once you are used to a fiver, having that low B string can be very beneficial in that area.

3. Octopikiller

Octopikiller

Sep 7, 2002
    San Diego
    Ummm well I'd like to play rock and blues but unfortunately most kids my age are into punk and its hard to find someone to play with who isn't. But I guess its more important what I want to play than what other people want me to play... so I guess a good rock bass that can do blues too would be nice.

4. Octopikiller

Octopikiller

Sep 7, 2002
    San Diego
    And Ill definitely go used.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    800 eh?

There's a lot there in the new and used catagory. I think though for rock and blues, maybe you should look into the Lakland Skylines. Great basses that run about 650 new, and are one hell of a bass. Come in both 4 and 5.

But then used, you can get ahold of a lot of stuff. It's an open market...

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That mighta been me. I'm dropping some Active EMG P/J 35's and a new Schaller roller bridge into mine. I love the way it plays, (though this may be clouded by sentimentality) even with my MTD Kingston sitting next to it...and If I though there was an ounce of resale left in it, well, I still wouldn't have sold it, but with no third bass to make this one obsolete, I've gotta keep it in on par for anouth 6 or so months untill I get ahold of a third bass.

7. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    i am a big supporter of warwick...but theyre about $500 out of your price range. lakland skylines are amazing basses (IMO). you can never go wrong with a cool fender...the geddy lee bass is pretty cool. those FMT Jazz Basses are pretty great as well...but thats just my two cents. :rolleyes:

8. Lets see here- with $800 as your price cap you have a great deal of options open to you, I'll second the used Skyline reccomendation. Take a look at MTD Kingstons, they can be had for under $500 new and are some of the best production basses to be found, a used MTD Grendel would be nice to look into as well. Take a look at http://www.carvin.com , you should be able to get an excellent bass with a whole lotta extras for eight hundered!

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    G&L L-2000

I've seen them used in your price range on eBay all the time & sometimes less.

10. Octopikiller

Octopikiller

Sep 7, 2002
    San Diego
    hey umm about that. I went to the lakland web site and while I do agree that they are pretty nice basses, but the site claimed that the cheapest cost 999... Im not sure where you saw it for 650, but please tell me. :confused: and thanks.

11. RyKnoz

RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    NYC
    Musiciansfriend has the 55-01 Lakland Skylines for $699.

12. Octopikiller

Octopikiller

Sep 7, 2002
    San Diego
    Thanks a lot. Im seriorsly considering the 55-01. Any more suggestions?

13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Used:

Fender P Deluxe or Jazz Deluxe (or American Standards if active electronics aren't what you are after)
    MM Stingray
    Peavey Cirrus
    Czech Spectors
    Warwick (thumb bolt on, Corvette pro line or FNA, etc)
    Peavey Millenium Plus

New:

Ibanez BTB
    MTD Heir
    Lakland Skyline 55 01

I am missing a lot here I know, just a few suggestions (most of which were already mentioned).
    ;)

14. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I would sugjest a Ibanez ATK. can be had used for around 350. i don't know how much they are new, but you can't get them new in the states...:(

15. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
  16. DIVE on that Cirrus. I've never played one, and I don't know what one sounds like, but that is just too good to pass up.

17. Octopikiller

Octopikiller

Sep 7, 2002
    San Diego
    Jesus... that peavey is reall nice....
    Oh... I dont know what to do, why does the auction have to end tomorow?
    I just don't know if I'm ready to make a desicion that quick.
    I understand that sounds stupid... but remember, if I dont like it, or find something I like more, Im screwed becuase then im broke.
    AUGH im so confused:( :(

18. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I'll help you to figure out whether this is the kind of bass that will be good for you. No pressure. I know the bass will sell to someone. Inquire through TalkBass email or ebay email.

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I wish I had some $$$. That baby would look real nice next to mine.

20. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    If I had the $$$, I'd collect a few basses. Everyone tells me, why don't you just keep them awhile! Maybe it's being raised by parents who lived through the Great Depression and the Big One.

Everybody thinks I'm absolutely nuts for selling the Cirrus, so now's the time to take advantage of my insanity.