1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

any suggestions for passive soap bar pups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassbeard, Jul 26, 2007.

1. bassbeard

bassbeard

Jul 18, 2007
    akron, ohio
    i thought my pickups were fine until i got a nice bass rig lol

that being said, can anyone recommend a good set of passive soap bar style pickups? I like a nice tight sound-- not too boomy in the low end and with well pronounced mids and highs. maybe just a little taste of P-style character to the tone would be nice, but not too much (i have a yamaha that i use when the tune calls for a true P sound)

i play pretty aggressively on this bass (this is my metal band bass) and the low action gives me a great(IMO) snarling flavor to the sound, but the lows are extremely muddy, which sounds like poop on a nice rig.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    You didn't say what bass you wanted them for, but Bartolini makes pickups to fit almost any soapbar size.

Nordstrand also makes some very highly regarded pickups that fit into the standard EMG and Bartolini pickup routings. The Fat Stacks seem to be a really popular choice...

Mike

3. bassbeard

bassbeard

Jul 18, 2007
    akron, ohio
    ooops

austin eclipse custom-4

4. Kent Armstrong soaps have a nice, clean tone...from what I've seen on www.austingtr.com it looks like the KA soaps will fit the eclipse custom 4.

5. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Yep, the Austin looks like it takes standard EMG soapbar sizes which are a little wider that Bartolini sizes (1.5" vs. 1.25"). I might be wrong about that, though. Actually, from your description it seems like you might like the active EMG sound, but you did say you wanted passive pickups.

Mike

6. bassbeard

bassbeard

Jul 18, 2007
    akron, ohio
    i was thinking passive because it wouldn't require cutting holes in my bass-- not that i am opposed to modifying this thing, I’m just thinking about the cost of having a qualified professional do the work. This is not an expensive instrument by any means, so at some point it may just be better to buy another bass (besides more basses=more happy).

then again, I really love the feel of my bass, and have been hard-pressed to find another that fits me this well—at least in the sub-$1000 price range…

7. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Delano has quadcoil soapbar pups.

8. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Active pickups wouldn't necessarily require curring holes in your bass, since the battery could easily fit into the control cavity...

Mike

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I was very impressed by the EMG-HZ soapbars in my Dean Edge 5. I don't know if they even sell them as non-OEM though.

10. bassbeard

bassbeard

Jul 18, 2007
    akron, ohio
    one more thought. i have my 4 string bass strung with the bottom 4 of a 5 string set, but instead of BEAD, i am tuned up to CFA#D#. would there be any inherent differences between a 4 string and a 5 string pickup that i should consider? would the "E" pole of a 4 string pickup not perform as well with a string tuned to C above it?

11. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    No, pickups are not generally designed for specific notes in specific locations. In fact, many soapbars (including EMGs) actually have bar magnets that go under either half or all the strings, so there isn't an "E pole", and the only difference between 4- and 5-string pickups is the width of the magnetic field and the location of the split if the pickup has a split-coil design.

Mike