1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any Suggestions on a new bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GotBottom, Aug 26, 2007.

1. GotBottom

GotBottom

Aug 26, 2007
    Ok, I'm looking for a new bass, it will be my second proper bass (my first is a Tokai SGB-43). However, I can't decide on what to get. I play mostly metal and its surrounding genres and its nearly always in Drop C, so I'll probably want active pickups. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Ibanez K5 (I'm not a massive Korn fan, its just seems like a good bass). I've also been looking at the SR basses, in particular the 500 and 505, plus I'm tempted by a Warwick Corvette or Thumb. I've got a budget of about £450-£500 ($900-$1000). I have an idea of what I want, but I might be missing out on some good basses here, so can anyone give me some suggestions? :meh:

2. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Squier Deluxe Active Jazz 5

3. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    what is the correlation between tuning to Drop C and wanting active pickups?

ack

4. GotBottom

GotBottom

Aug 26, 2007
    Thanks, thats a pretty nice looking bass, although I'm usually not a massive Fender etc. fan. Oh I'm still undecided on whether to get a 5 string or stick with 4 (which is a distinct possibility).

http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBASR505
    http://www.ibanez.com/bass/guitar.aspx?m=K5
    http://www.warwickbass.com/basses/corvette_standard.html
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_corvette_std_4_nat.htm?partner_id=25293

Those are the ideas I have at the moment, I definitely love the look of the corvette the most, possibly the $$ version.

5. GotBottom

GotBottom

Aug 26, 2007
    The correlation being they are both used in metal, so active pickups are often used for the bigger tone, no real correlation to the actual tuning, lol sorry

6. Evo 911

Evo 911

May 18, 2007
    Lahore
  7. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    cool.

have you looked at the G&L L2000? it's a real beast.

best of luck.

8. GotBottom

GotBottom

Aug 26, 2007
    The Schecter is pretty sweet, the Peavy looks a little out of my price range though lol, unless I get a lucky used one. I still love the 505, but that tight string spacing my be tricky, thanks for the info on that :)

9. GotBottom

GotBottom

Aug 26, 2007
  10. GotBottom

GotBottom

Aug 26, 2007
    I'm tempted more and more by a warwick :S

11. I have the 505, it has a decent B string, strings are really loose since its longscale, fun to play and really light. I'm getting ready to sell it soon, just not liking it as much as the Stingray.

12. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    I notice this Warwick Vampyre Dark Lord on ebay. It's aimed straight at the metal bassist. Why not buy that one and tell us what you think about it? I can't afford it.

13. FloydianAnimal

FloydianAnimal Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
  14. GotBottom

GotBottom

Aug 26, 2007
    Was considering a 505 yeah, I think a stingray is a bit outta my range though lol

For $2,159.00? Sure why? not? >.< lol, I can't afford it either, besides I'm in the UK. I wouldn't get a metal looking bass like that anyway simply because it would look out of place anywhere else, and I want a bass that will do me a good bit, so who knows what I'll be play in 2-3 years?

Thats a really good suggestion, I was looking at it along with the K5, it looks brilliant, a real contender! Thanks

Thanks for the the replies!:D

15. towsonbassist

towsonbassist

Oct 15, 2006
    In my experience Peavey makes good 5er's, but only the BTB Ibanez's are good with 4+ strings. The others Just dont have the neck and body wood quality. Fender makes OK 5's.
    I say Grind or Cirrus by Peavey
    BTB Ibanez 5's
    or a deluxe Jazz

16. GotBottom

GotBottom

Aug 26, 2007
  17. YCBass

YCBass

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    You don't like Fenders but I am all about them!

Anyway, that aside... I would try to score a used Music Man Sting Ray - the humbucker on there is very well suited for heavy music... Among plenty other styled it can cover.

I used to play hard rock/metal and if I do it again I would go for the MM.

Good luck!

18. ThomasG

ThomasG

Jul 20, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Take away the image aspect. Dont get caught up on labels and all the hype. Buy what you like: what sounds good to you, what feels good to you, what is easisest to play, buy the bass you like ! If you like a Honda Acord instead of the BMW, buy the Honda ! Buy it on praticalsures only. If it is what you want in sound and feel, buy it ! Yes you may get better craftmenship, nicer wood, finish etc. and if you like that and can afford it, buy it. But dont buy it for marketing reasons !

19. brianeharmonjr

brianeharmonjr

Aug 18, 2007
    Indiana
    I think you're thinking along the right line with Warwick. I've owned a couple and have friends who have owned several as well and I've never come across a clunker. They are solid as a rock, sound incredible, play super-smooth, and look pretty heavy as well. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with Warwick.