Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any suggestions on a possible Bass rig experiment

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tyleen3, Jan 27, 2005.

1. tyleen3

tyleen3

Jan 27, 2005
    Thanks for checking this thread out. If there is anyone who may know how to pull this off please let me know.

What I am trying tp pull off is this.

I have a 4x10 and a 1x15 cab.

The 4x10 has been sealed and the actual speakers have been seperated as well.

The 1x15 is loaded facing down completely sealed off. No ports what so ever.

I want the 4x10 to remain clean. But I want the 1x15 to be overdrived with maybe a BIg Muff or a very good Distortion pedal.

How do I do this to keep the sounds sepreated from the cabs using only one head. I dont want the overdrive to come theough the 4x10 at all.

Can this be done using one head or should I use 2 heads and use a splitter.

Any suggestion are most welcome.

Thanks

2. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    If your amp has 2 channels it's easy enough to do. Put effects for the 4x10 onto channel 1 (doesn't really matter which channel - just make sure the two cabs are independent of each other) and put the speaker out for ch 1 on the 4x10. Repeat with ch. 2 for the 1x15. You'll need a few extra cables, but other than that, it's easy enough to do.

If your amp doesn't have two channels, you'll need a second amp so you can effectively operate 2 channels of audio.

I actually do this with one of my rigs, 2 2x10s (EA clones). Channel 1 runs all of my atypical effects (wah, distortion, ultrabass, multifx, + channel 2 effects) and channel 2 is my standard bass sound (comp if using, eq, etc). When using distortion, gives you your normal thick/full bass tone in addition to the spastic drive.

3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    As in transmission lines?

Alex

4. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Yes, technically not clones really, but the inspiration came from EA cabs. I tried my hand at building a folded horn rig a while ago (couple years probably at this point). They aren't the same thing, but if you can figure out the math for one you're in the ball park for noodling the other.

GAS + woodworking shop = no free time (I hate spending money on things I can rationalize I can build myself).

:bassist:

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    you need a head with 2 power seperate amps or a stereo power amp, or two heads or a head and a power amp.....etc

the only thing i woudl say about using a stereo head or any combination where you are using the effects loop to send to the overdrive's input is that many effects loops are much hotter then the signal from your bass which will cause a lot more overdrive. they typically distort most floor pedals because the pedals are designed for the low level signal from a bass rather than line level like rack equipment. try it 1st and see how it sounds.

i like the effect of having one "wet" cabint and one "dry" cabinet. hopefully you will find a solution that you like