Any suggestions on Bass Instruction book for my son?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by cgworkman, Mar 9, 2005.

1. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    My son has been dabbling in playing bass for a few months. My question is: Anyone have a suggestion of a decent "bass book" that I could teach him from? I've been playing bass for about 25 years, but am not cut out to be a teacher :) . I figured I could help him out with "lessons" but need some sort of curicculum.

Thanks in advance
  2. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Dave Overthrow's Electric Bass Method books. They come in beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels. He's my private teacher, and his books are great.
  3. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
  4. i started out with Mel bay's bass books 1&2. after those, i moved to mel bays reading excerise or somehting liek that. it starts off very simple,then gradually increases in toughness. i would suggest it becuase i think its excellent. but then agaiin these are the only books i've ever used so yeah.
  5. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I would be interested, via email if you like, in helping you write a curriculum for your son. This would be a detailed, lesson to lesson curriculum using your own skills, as well as tools like books, to help you develop your skills as a teacher.
  6. jayzarecki

Feb 23, 2005
    san diego, CA
    try the bass for beginners by Mel Bay. i learned on that on that one. Its really good.
  7. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    "The Evolving Bassist" by Rufus Reid, a timeless classic that is as relevant today as it was 30 years ago. You can get it through your local music store.
  8. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Not to sound like a plug, but I've got several method books that I'm selling for $5 each + postage.

Building Walking Bass Lines
    Funk Fusion Bass
    Mel Bays Note Reading Studies for Bass
    Bass Guitar Scale Manual
    Slap It

If you're interested let me know.