any suggestions on my upcoming purchase? (what fretless to go along with my bongo?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DEFELDUS, Nov 29, 2004.

1. ok, scholarship leftover check time :D :hyper:

i already know im buying a bongo (4 string fretted, lava pearl) and one of those nice boss looping pedals (been messing with/enjoying looping a lot lately and this is the best thing i can find) but i think i want to get a nice fretless as well (maybe a 5 string) or either one of those dean pace uprights...

so, give me some suggestions in the 400-600 dollar range on some good quality fretless basses. i am considering laklands at the moment, but would be open to some other fenderish type basses, and anything else i havent thought of. thanks for any help guys :)
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Used warwick corvette fretless? They sound good, if you like warwicks.
  3. i was actually checkin basscentral for those (or used thumbs) earlier, but i could only find unlined, and my fretless ability (or lack there of) still requires them.
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hmm maybe put off the new fretless for a little, practice on your SX lined one, then when you get competent enough, buy an unlined :)

I played lined for a little while before converting it to fretted... and then i played an unlined in a store and i found i actually was somewhat competent, and unlined is IMO 10xmore fun :)
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Oh although i will suggest an MTD Kingston fretless (lined). Nice bass for the money :bassist:
  6. yes, i would love one of those, but cant seem to find any... off to access bass!
  7. we gotta stop doin this, aim is much more efficient ;)
  8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Look for the budget version of the Ibanez Gary Willis Bass (GWB). I recently saw one for $480, and I really regretted not snagging one. It is not the most versatile fretless tone wise, but it gets that Jaco style tone better than any other bass I have heard. It also has a wonderful slick, lined fingerboard that is a dream to play. If you see it, don't hesitate, buy it! :bassist:
  9. save your pennies for a fretless bongo
  10. i could get a fretted and fretless bongo... but that would be stretching my budget a lot. remember, i have to live off this money too :D