Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any suggestions on my upcoming purchase? (what fretless to go along with my bongo?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DEFELDUS, Nov 29, 2004.

1. ok, scholarship leftover check time :D :hyper:

i already know im buying a bongo (4 string fretted, lava pearl) and one of those nice boss looping pedals (been messing with/enjoying looping a lot lately and this is the best thing i can find) but i think i want to get a nice fretless as well (maybe a 5 string) or either one of those dean pace uprights...

so, give me some suggestions in the 400-600 dollar range on some good quality fretless basses. i am considering laklands at the moment, but would be open to some other fenderish type basses, and anything else i havent thought of. thanks for any help guys :)

2. cmon guys... no help?

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Used warwick corvette fretless? They sound good, if you like warwicks.

4. i was actually checkin basscentral for those (or used thumbs) earlier, but i could only find unlined, and my fretless ability (or lack there of) still requires them.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hmm maybe put off the new fretless for a little, practice on your SX lined one, then when you get competent enough, buy an unlined :)

I played lined for a little while before converting it to fretted... and then i played an unlined in a store and i found i actually was somewhat competent, and unlined is IMO 10xmore fun :)

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Oh although i will suggest an MTD Kingston fretless (lined). Nice bass for the money :bassist:

7. yes, i would love one of those, but cant seem to find any... off to access bass!

8. we gotta stop doin this, aim is much more efficient ;)

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    :p

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Look for the budget version of the Ibanez Gary Willis Bass (GWB). I recently saw one for $480, and I really regretted not snagging one. It is not the most versatile fretless tone wise, but it gets that Jaco style tone better than any other bass I have heard. It also has a wonderful slick, lined fingerboard that is a dream to play. If you see it, don't hesitate, buy it! :bassist:

11. save your pennies for a fretless bongo

12. i could get a fretted and fretless bongo... but that would be stretching my budget a lot. remember, i have to live off this money too :D