Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any suggestions other than Ampeg?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kehs, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Hi there---

I've been doing research and some demo-ing in shops for my first big amp (I have a 20 watt practice amp). I really love the tone of the Ampeg SVT-350 through the SVT410HLF cab. However the cab is just too heavy. :(

I wanted to know if there are other options besides the above setup at about $1200 (new preferred). I wouldn't be doing anything more than jamming with a drummer. I play a Squier P-Bass Special with flatwounds, I set my tone knob half or mostly rolled off. I love old country and reggae tones. I like having lots of headroom so the above head is the minimum amount of power I would like.

I'm not sure I can get the sound I'm looking for without having a heavy Ampeg setup, or can I? Maybe combining a SABDDI (don't have that yet) with something?

I would really appreciate any help! :)

2. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    There are lighter cabs out there - if you like the sound of the head, you could still get that and a lighter cab. I like my Bergantino 112s, but they are likely more than you want to spend (there are lots of options with single 12 cabs - the Aggie 112s are a popular choice and a bit less). I thought Schroeder cabs were lighter, from what I remember and I hear lots of good things about them. You might also consider a 2x10 and 1x15 setup - likely will weigh more combined, but if you carry in multiple trips, you would be okay. Exercise is good for you :p

3. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    From the sound of your tone preference (pretty close to mine), I'd highly recommend checking out some 15" cab. I use a 2x15, but there are plenty of great 1x15's. You can't go wrong with an SVT for that kind of tone.

4. The 1x15 is a good idea, I had tried it before and liked it---thanks.

5. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    I have the same basic set up and to answer your original question,

"NO!" You are like me in that you found "the sound!" Now you,

like me, will have to deal with the weight issue to enjoy "that

sound"......:crying:

6. Yeah - I'm in the same boat - lugging an SVT-410HLF everywhere...but it SOUNDS so good :) I second the SVT-15E suggestions - maybe buy the amp and a single SVT-15E right now, then save a bit and buy another :)

PS - maybe you should at least consider buying the head used - can save quite a few bucks going that route...

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    None, what so ever. :D

8. I should grin and bear it :D There are lots of folks trying to find their sound and I know I found mine with Ampeg so I shouldn't try to find anything else, since I would try to make it sound like an Ampeg anyway. :)

9. I would seriously consider Bergantino. Lighter weight, more power handling and amazing tone. My NV610 blows the doors off an Ampeg 810 using the same vintage SVT head or the SVT3-Pro head I'm using now.

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Well, if you must go with this, you can save yourself some money by getting the B-2R instead of the SVT-350H. Same amp, but without the big fake SVT-style head cab. Smaller, lighter, cheaper option.

I got a new SVT-350H for $289.99 at a Guitar Center sale a couple of years back and have never really used it because of the fan noise. Looks good sitting there, though.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    This would be correct. Your gear won't seem so heavy when you have the tone you want. :)

I think guys start complaining about tone when they are stuck hauling gear around that does not produce the tone they want.

-Mike

12. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    The elevator at my rehearsal space is on the fritz. Last week I carried my 2X15 down and then went back up for my all tube head, and then took them back up at the end of teh night... for a video shoot! You couldn't even really see the gear. No complaining about carrying bass amps. If you don't want to lift gear, become a lead singer.

13. I think that the bigger cabs always sound wonderful, but they are hard to move around...eventually we all get tired of it :) I'm planning on buying a couple smaller Ampeg cabs in the future (2xSVT15 or SVT15+SVT210) so that when I don't want to haul around the 410HLF I can carry two smaller cabs...it'll be sweet!

14. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.

AMEN! :oops:

15. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

Are there other brands out there besides Ampeg??? :p :D

Seriously though, I have nothing to recommend. I am pretty much sold on Ampeg.

16. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I agree, get the SVT 350 or the B2r and the SVT15e. Then save up for an Ampeg 210 or 410 to put on top of it. Folks are correct saying the SVT350H is the same as the b2r with the case but keep in mind most folks that buy the B2r end up buying a rack case to put it in.

17. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I would suggest you at least consider this Carvin BRX1512 system:

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=BRX1512&CID=BA

AT $999.99, it's in your price range. I have this head and like it quite a bit. For my tastes, though not necessarily for yours or anyone else's of course, it's considerably nicer than that Ampeg head you mention. It's well built, powerful, good-sounding, and easy to use. I haven't tried the BRX12 cab but hear very good things about it.

(For all you Ampeg heads, peace--I'm not trying to bash your gear, just offering a different perspective.)

18. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I get a pretty nice "SVT" sound from the SABDDI. I also likethe "Fat Tube" setting on that unit.

Also have to plug the Bergie 112 cabs. Very nice.

For $1200 you could get a fairly nice pre/power/cab rig:

SABDDI - $160
    Power Amp - $500
    Bergie HT112 - $550

Light, portable and easily updated when teh GAS pains occur.

19. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Get a Schroeder, small or large box :D. Then get your Ampeg ;) (B2R, 350, whichever).

Ray

20. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    how bout a traynor YBA200 with an avatar 1x15 and possibly an avatar 2x10. Should be about $1150 inc shipping to your door. and it would be a great rig. also if you want a 4x10 think about an avatar 4x10 neo or even think about 2 seperate ampeg SVT 2x10s. or even just go with a HE instead of the HLF 4x10. if you went with the traynor this would be no problem because its a tube amp and will put out the same power at 8ohms as it will at 4ohms.