Any Suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sevenbass, Apr 4, 2004.

1. sevenbass

sevenbass Guest

Feb 16, 2002
    Barnsville G.A.
    Hey All!

I'm not new here but have been away for awhile. Now i'm getting myself together and have hit a wall in selectin my new amp. I've been to GC and tried many amps, both combo and seperates, But that was in a store setting and as we all know just because it sounds good in the store does'nt mean it will sound good when you get it home.

Just a little info here, I play in a chirstia band wit a style that ranges from a Lincoln Brewster praise and worship style to a heavier Nickelback style. I play a spector Q-5pro through a peavey t-max head and I plug straight in to the amp. My cab is an avatar 4x10 mainly used for stage monitoring purposes since I run through the PA 95% of the time.

There are two heads that i really like the Mesa Mpulse 600 and the Ampeg SVT-3Pro. I'm looking for a really growly sound but I stil want to have a useabl (not harsh) high end. I guess I mean a sound kind of like Mike Kroger's sound but not a carbon copy. I have plans to get A warwick Thumb neck through in the next few months but first the amp.

Does anyone have any experience with the amps mentioned above in live situations or just any tips on them? any advice is welcome and will help a-lot. Will any of them help me get the sound I desire? If not then what would you suggest?

One more question and I will shut up. How does mike get that sound on the song Hollywood On the nickelback dvd. We have a song where a simalar sound will work very good. Is it the thumb, His mesa amps , An effect Or something totally diffrent?

Thanks for your help.
  2. csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    Live, he uses lots and lots of Peavey stuff.
  3. hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Hey Sevenbass. Cool gear. I'm using the Spector Q-5 Pro thru a T-Max to a 4X10TVX and 1-15BW. Love what I'm using, no changes in sight. However I khow your interest is in Mike Kroeger's sound.........A few issues back in Bass Player Magazine (I'm at work and I can't remember which issue, maybe someone else here in the forums can help) they had a schematic of Mike's rig. Part of his distinct sound and that growl he gets incorporates a Guitar Amp rig as reinforcement to his overall amp rig. It's absolutely huge, and yes, like csholtmeier said, it's a lot of Peavey stuff! It's gotta be at least 4 or 5 months ago. Take care.