1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any suggetions on modifying my TBC?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Billy Low, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    Hey all,

I have a TBC JT-500 SS that I would like to get more bottom out of. For some reason, the bottom seems very thin. I really like the other sonic qualities of the bass; especially the sustain and the way it cuts, but I need more depth in the lows. What suggestions do you guys have for me?

For those who have modded your TBC's what have you done, and what was the overall result?

2. You might try changing the strings if you haven't yet. The stock strings are very bright and a bit on the thin-sounding side. I just put some DR Black Beauties on my AP-400M and they really seemed to compliment the bass quite well.

3. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    Bumparoo

4. pixelpounder

pixelpounder

Aug 26, 2006
    Chitown area
    I have an older version US made, single MM PU. Mod's so far were to add Pyramid flats, and be disappointed by the loss of growl. Shelve it and get a Fender Jazz 24. Grin for a year or so, and get back to the TBC.

This year I de-fretted the TBC. Walnut veneer in the fret slots. Looks dark against the rosewood board. (cool!) Finished the rosewood fingerboard with super glue. (Nice) Strung it with D'Addario Chrome Flats, and I love it again. Certainly not the same sounding bass I bought on Ebay, but it's got a very nice mawahh!

I would buy a fretless before doing this again. I've learned more about setup than I thought I needed to know, and spent way too much time in the quest for tone. On the plus side, it was cheap. and sounds great!

5. I've got the same bass; I quite like it. My tweaks include putting in a passive/active switch. See how here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=277600

That lets me use my Sadowsky external Preamp/DI instead of the internal preamp:

http://www.sadowsky.com/audio/preamp.html

I admit that's a bit of an expensive upgrade to a TBC, but if you've got a nice preamp like this anyway...

Finally, I switched to a set of GHS Progressives - the Gary Willis Set, with a huge B string:

http://www.juststrings.com/ghs-cu-gw5.html

I string through the bridge rather than the body. If you look at the pictures in my "passive/active" thread you'll see I use a spacer (just a small nut) on the end of the B string to get the taper in the string close to the saddles.

Anyway, I'm happy with the tweaks - between the big B and the Sadowsky preamp/DI I love the sound I get.

- Rob

6. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    Don't get me wrong, I LOVE THIS BASS!!! I just wish she had a little more on the bottom end. Hey, some like Eva Longoria, I like J. Lo. I just like my bottom a little bigger!

That looks pretty cool! I figure that it may not help as me as much. For some reason it seems that the low end is choked. Maybe a change of pre-amp may help. BUT WHICH PRE?!?!

Question: weren't the stock p'ups for this modeled after the EMG-40's? If so, that may be my problem. I have never really been a big fan of EMG's.

7. Basso54

Basso54

Jul 22, 2003
    Dalhart, TX
    you could swap the pickups, how about your amp settings??? Have you monkey'd with them yet??? I find that with each bass, you need to dial in your EQ on the amp as much as the bass, every bass is different you know...

8. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    Several different amps netted the same result.

9. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    Bumpity bump bump!

Any preamp suggestions that will net more bottom other than Audere that may work w/this girl?

10. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I've been eyeballing an Xotic Bass RC Booster, I'll probably order it tonight - maybe an outboard pre might be the ticket for you too. This way you won't have to modify anything and can add that elusive booty to any bass you own (current & future). They are kind of pricey at first glance, but when you weigh that against new pickups/preamp/installation cost (if done by someone else), it's starts to look like a real bargain. Just some worthless .02 cents to ponder. :)

11. funbass

funbass

Dec 16, 2006
    ether
    Does stringing a bass using the bridge give you a deeper tone? How does that compare to stringing through the body tone wise? { I have a TBC ap-500 single m on order}

12. Personally, I like the sound of stringing through the bridge rather than through the body. It seems to give you a bit more attack.

13. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    Okay, I stand corrected! No need for modification. Thanks to Jauqo III-X, I now have SERIOUS BOOTY on this girl! String through the bridge, lower the action, raise the pickups and...TADOW!!!:bassist: I may install that active/passive switch though.

14. funbass

funbass

Dec 16, 2006
    ether
    Just changing the strings on my AP-500M did it for me.