1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any Sunn o))) fans here?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Visirale, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I'm just getting into them and I absolutely love it! I want to play in a band like that so I can run my 810 with the titan, and get a mesa 400+ and run it through 2 215s. DOOMY.

What other bands in the same vein should I check out?

Has anyone been lucky enough to see them live? What kind of hearing protection did you bring?

2. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Boris. Merzbow maybe?

Im really trying to remember my collection of drone..... "Absolutego" and "Sun Baked Snow Cave" are a must from Boris IMHO. SBSC is a colab with merzbow.

BTW, TB tends to be a little "conservative" when it comes to fringe genres. There are some metalheads on here (myself included) and some fans of the stoner rock, but not so much the noise and drones stuff. I'd suggest PMing Matt Till. He's a fountain of knowledge on this type of thing :D

3. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

Bunkur is a two bass drone band, worth checking out.

Bongripper is a local drone band that tunes their guitars all the way down to F.

There's two more for you to try.

4. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    +1 On Merzbow and Boris. Matt Till will disagree, but Merzbow is fantastic. Sunn 0)) also did a record with Boris called Altar. Get it as fast as possible, it's amazing.

Check out OM, too. Also, the bassist from Bongripper (Ron Now) posted a link to a torrent of their album Hate Ashbury... on here a little while ago, I'll dig up the link 'cause that record is killer.
    Here it is:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=430708

You also wouldn't be amiss to check out Conifer and Ocean. I'm a little biased, 'cause they're from my hometown and I've seen 'em both play a bunch of times, but they really are a couple of the best bands in the doom scene right now. If you like Sunn O)), you'll probably love Ocean.
    myspace.com/conifer
    myspace.com/ocean

All that said, no one really sounds like Sunn 0)).

5. pompompom

pompompom

Dec 31, 2003
    I've seen Sunn O))) about 5 times now... For me, they are not that special anymore. I was really blown away the first time I saw them, which is about 3,5 years ago at the roadburn festival in tilburg Holland. Back then, they were not that popular and avantgarde the way they are now.

6. You need to check out Earth, of course.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

?! Whu? I love Merzbow, one of the first people to get me into noisey stuff.

P.S. When did I become the authority on anything? :smug: A lot of Merzbow isn't anything like Sunn at all though. I will say, in spite of being mentioned in this thread, drone metal stuff isn't really my thing. I LIKE Sunn, but I think they are one of the most overrated bands in recent metal history.

To chime in with a suggestion, check out some Thrones: It's a solo project of Joe Preston (who has been in Melvins, High on Fire, he did some stuff with Sunn, AANNNNDD he was in Earth, who invented the sound Sunn is going for, and Sunn would be the first to admit that.

http://www.myspace.com/thronestour

Check out Harvey Milk as well, they (like Thrones) dabble a bit more with other genres as well, but often fall back on a heavy drone sound.

8. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    I thought I remembered reading that you weren't so down with Merzbow... maybe it wasn't you, maybe it was an old thread, whatever.

Thrones is awesome, but to be perfectly honest, Earth 2 is the worst drone record I've ever heard.

9. What about the old school Godflesh - now there was a band!

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Yeah, I don't really like Earth 2, but without it, Sunn wouldn't exist. Earth has some good stuff though, but yeah Earth 2 doesn't do much for me.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I don't see much of a connection... regardless, everyone should listen to some old school Godflesh.

12. JFace

JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Electric Wizard

13. Well, some of there early stuff was a bit drony, and I must confess I only know small bits of Sunn O))) - and Godflesh is certainly a predecessor to stuff like Sun O)))... sort of! Anyway, Godflesh were ace, so they deserve a mention regardless :bassist:

14. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    While EW is one of my most favorite bands, they're not really similar to Sunn, at all.

But people should check them out anyway.

15. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Sunn amps/cabs?

Oh...sorry.:bawl:

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

If you were to have a nightmare on acid, I'd imagine it would be quite a bit like this:

17. JFace

JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
  18. double-muff

double-muff

May 5, 2007
    Iceland.
    Melvins (Lysol is extremely slow and heavy) but they also dribble in ALOT of other genres, and without a doubt one of the best (and i think the oldest and most long lived) sludge bands out there.

Bongripper (Heroin is a personal fave)

Earth (Earth2, Phase 3, Pentastar and HEX(though more ambient country))

Doomsayer (icelandic drone, Doomgoat.com) more ambient than heavy.

Harvey Milk (great, just released a new album called life.. the best game in town)

Boris (pretty much like the melvins although heavyer)

Noteworthy bands(not like Sunn)
    Goatsnake
    Yawning Man (chill surf, really really chill)
    Merzbow
    Kyuss
    Blacked Earth
    Electric Wizard
    Acid King

that is what i can think of at the moment.

19. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
  20. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    vision...creation...newsun!