Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any sushi heads out there? (i know...gard)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by neptoon, Feb 11, 2006.

1. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    we haven't done this one in a while...i'm a big fan of pretty much any kind of sushi, so it's come to this...i've gone and started making my own! anyone do this other than me? now, a lot of the really good stuff like sashimi and the nigiri sushi is a little expensive to make at home because i'm not going to eat a whole filet of fish with a couple of rolls, nigiri or otherwise, or sashimi, but stuff like california rolls and philly rolls are easy as heck to make and they're great! i've just started this stuff recently, but i know there are some more sushi nuts around besides me (gard and woodchuck that i know of right off-hand)...see let's see what's up!

and i know that if there are no pics, then it ain't true...here's a link to a little photo album :D do i hear tummies growling? and yeah, _dig_ the apron!!!

http://community.webshots.com/photo/547466879/2118274740043314947hDonRl

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, gard, i just thought of something (i know you're looking at this already)...i bet you could get some of those super hot roscoe tops and make some super sweet sushi plates, soy bowls and chopsticks

:bag:

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Handy tip: Cook it up, and it tastes just like fish!

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I usually get sushi once or twice a week with my friends. We have 2 local places we goto where we are known by the management and given somewhat preferential treatment(free sake, special rolls..etc.)

Both my favorite rolls are house specific and fairly fancy. One of them involves scallops and 2 types of spicy sauce an 1 type of sweet sauce mixed with avocado, tuna and albacore. wrapped in cucumber skin instead of seaweed and baked. The other involves a small piece of 4 different types of fish(whichever are freshest), avocado, carrot, sweet sauce and wrapped in soybean paper instead of seaweed.

Other than that. I am a big fan of anything with crab in it. Spider rolls are great. I also really like Unagi(eel), and I enjoy philadelphia rolls(especially tempura fried ones)

I dislike anything with artificial crab. I'm not a big fan of mackerel or octopus, and I don't really like fish eggs that much but I can usually deal with them.

I enjoy hot sake, and I drink Kirin. I often round off my meal with a bowl of rice or some avocado/cucumber rolls.

As far as making my own sushi. I have never really explored that too much. I enjoy the interaction with a good sushi chef in conjunction with the good meal more than either one of those elements on its own. But I have made some faux-sushi stuff now and again to varying degrees of success.

5. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    I dont think I could live without it!

theres 10 sushi resturants on orchard lk rd alone within a 5 mile strip!

A big local road with resturants in our little slice of
    non-americana.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I love it...

Unfortunately we don't have too many places around here, so I tend to go for it when I'm out of town.

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

cooked fish....yuk

:bag:

hey, right on, keif...i've never done soy paper or cucumber skin...sounds great, though...i dig the spicy soft shelled crab in a hand roll...one of my faves...also really expensive to do at home, unfortunately...sake (salmon) is probably the best way to go for sushi, because i could also grill the filets on some cedar planks, but that's another conversation :D i'll pretty much throw down anything that's been tempura fried...that stuff is freakin' deadly...and something weird about me...i can eat just about anything they put in a roll except for avacado...maybe it's just because i've never had a good one

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

jeezus, man...that's sinful

:bassist:

9. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I love Sushi. However, I do not have the ability to make it right now. I like Tako and Unagi. I can't eat the california rolls or philly rolls because they contain shellfish. I am deathly allergic so that takes some of the fun out of going to sushi restaruants. But man is it good. Thanks a lot Neptoon now I have sushi on the brain. Now I have to go to one of my two favorite sushi places....thanks a lot ;) :D

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

hey, no charge, man...if you looked at my album, you saw what i ate tonight :D

11. UNAGI, POWER!!!! Yes. I love sushi. There's a couple of good sushi places in my town, one of which is the Shogun, where me and my dad know all the chefs. I dig just about all of it. There have only been a few that I havent liked. Dynamite rolls are good but intense, boston rolls, california rolls, unagi. I think my favorite, as well as my dads is Seared White Tuna. The greatest...

12. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    dynamite roll...yummy...and i dig the eel, too

13. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Actually, this is something I've been wanting to try for a while now.

14. sbocaj55

sbocaj55

Feb 11, 2006
    Blacksburg, VA
    ugh....sushi. :puke: Had it one time...definitely not for me.

15. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, it's definitely nothing to be afraid of...you can get into some really good sushi without getting too weird...you don't have to take a bite out of a live octopus to be eating sushi...there is some pretty tame stuff out there for you to try...and then...you get hooked :D

16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    You mean like this natty pair of rosewood chopsticks with the lacewood & mahogany holder?

:cool:

17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    I'm all about some unagi and taki, there is a dish that a joint I used to hit weekly in Orlando had called "kobachi" which is essentially Bluefin Tuna diced with spices on it as an appetizer...

...strangely enough, I HATE cucumber and anything based on it, so I stay away from all of that. I'm not too fond of daikon radish either...

18. kovachian

kovachian

Nov 5, 2005
    Dude I LOVE sushi. I've been craving some spicy tuna since I moved here to North Carolina. Come to find out sushi isn't available in supermarkets down here (guess southerners aren't quite as cultured as I thought?). Sushi was all over the place when I lived in Maine! I've been wanting to make my own as well I just have to get a "kit" that shows me how to make it. Anyone care to make any reccomendations on how I could get into making sushi?

19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Where are you in NC??? I can buy sushi at either Harris Teeters or Food Lions all over Greensboro! (Hardly a bastion of forward culinary thinking! ;) ) Not to mention, we have a pretty decent place about 5 minutes from where I live for the "real stuff".....

20. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    pretty much any book store has books on making sushi...and they usually come with a few pairs of chopsticks, some mats and a rice spoon...

gard! those chopsticks are the shizzle! man, i gotta get me sum uh dim...you know, something else i can't really dig on my sushi is soy sauce, wasabi and ginger...i like my sushi raw :D