1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any SWAT, Army or USMC types here

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by syciprider, Aug 31, 2008.

1. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The Vessel Boarding, Search and Seizure team OIC of my ship approached me to join that force. What it is is a small lightly armed group dispatched via fast boat to board and inspect suspicious vessels in the high seas. I'm not new to running around with weapons but I've never done so inside confined spaces nor have I ever trained to quickly take over an objective. I know it's not all about going in with guns blazing so is there a specific skill set I need to beef up? I imagine that being able to run around with 50 or pounds of equipment strapped on my back would be a plus?

One thing that came to my mind right away was the UK-Iran incident where the Brit party were captured by the Iranians. The US Military's present Code of Conduct is very clear about this and it pretty much says that you will fight while you have the means to do so. As a senior member I will probably have to make that call to resist if put in a similar situation. That would suck for everyone involved...

2. ***sitting on a large leather swival chair, with the back turned, stroking my cat***

I could tell you, but then I would have to kill you, Mr. Bond.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    You expect me to talk?

4. Having spent a good part of my life running around on boats and ships, all I can say is wear knee and shin pads and a helmet!!!

Good luck, sounds like fun.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    USMC, '67 - '70. Classroom teacher. All's I can give you is keep your ass down.

6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    You forgot the hi speed lo drag Oakleys. Love the new ah-vey-tahr BTW.

I'm very good at that!

7. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    Learn to swim.

8. No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die.

9. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    I was on an SRT (same thing as SWAT) team for a while when I was in the Army. Did some other small unit stuff as well, but we didn't really deal with boats/ports etc... so I'll just be commenting on the actual things involved after you get on the ship as I'd guess its generally pretty similar to what would be involved with clearing and securing any structure.

For us, there was a pretty extensive (for regular Army anyway) tryout before you were even considered to be put on a SRT team. For me, and the tryout standards changed depending on who was running them, it was a two day affair. The first was a lot like the first day of Air Assault School in that we were run through the same type of obstacle course, had to do a four mile run, do a layout and get smoked throughout the day. However, we had to also do stress-weapon's qualifications after all that was done. The second day was pretty much just a PT test in the morning and an interview.

Mind you that even if you were picked, and began training with your team you still needed to go to the school whenever a slot opened up.

As far as what you can expect, I'd guess it'd be a LOT of training and shooting. Expect to get your ass handed to you for a while until you learn what you are doing. That's assuming this is a dedicated assignment. If its something you'll be doing in addition to your normal duties...I have no idea. Hopefully they wouldn't put you in charge of personnel before you were competent in the tactics involved.

As for the specific tactics you'd be using, its hard to say for certain. Depending on how many people you're working with, how and where you're entering or approaching a structure, the different types of threatening or non-threatening personnel inside, etc...the way things get done vary a great deal. Tactics also change greatly from team to team or command to command. The best advise I can give you is not to expect this to be different than any other grunt-type activity. The ability to shoot, move and communicate are still key.

Anyway, its a good gig if you like that sort of thing. But I always thought you guys had Marines who handled this sort of work when it came up?

10. I imagine muzzle discipline will be heavily stressed.

11. Yup, BIG TIME. Took a little basic CQB stuff from a local ex-special ops guy. Would have liked to learn more about tactical pistol, rifle, shotgun stuff from him, but bands and biking took up lots of time. Also shot and hung out with some local SWAT guys who are friends with one of my best friends.

My hat goes off to military and law enforcement. I tried to enlist, but asthma as a kid disqualified me. :atoz: Heh, I was faster than all the dudes there running a sub 5 minute mile. Oh well, pharmacy has been ok.

12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Yeah there are physical and PT screenings. I'll pass those though.

This won't be my full time job but a collateral duty. Yeah it makes it harder because we don't get to practice as a team as much as we should.

The Marine Detachment is a thing of the past now. We haven't had them onboard ships for a long time.

13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire

You can still serve in a different capacity. Public service is a good way to give back to the community.

14. Yeah, thought about that. My cop friends who know me well suggested I avoid law enforcement due to my extreme dislike for politics and beaurocracy. I have enough trouble working in an acedemic hospital!

15. I dated a girl once that needed to work on that :meh: :p