Any TBers from Bahrain?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassist 4 life, Oct 26, 2005.

1. So any talkbass members from bahrain or am I the only one, i dont think ther are a lot of people here from bahrain because bahrain only has 600,000 peaople, oh and just incase you're wondering bahrain is this tiiiiny island near saudi and the uae

heres a pic showing the destination

we are not part of saudi btw.
  2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    You'll have to specify on that location :D With the dragons and stuff :D

Welcome aboard :)
  3. crikker

crikker Yooper From Way Back Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Spent a few months there courtesy of Uncle Sam back in the 90's. I liked it.
  4. Larry99

Larry99 Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I'm doing some work for the US Navy on the minesweepers and was just there during the first 2 weeks in Sept. Do you play in one of the hotel bands there (seems like they are everywhere)? I stayed at the Crowne Plaza - there was a cover band there, cant remember their name? ....somthing involving the number 8?
  5. OiBass

Apr 9, 2003
    Isn't Michael Jackson your new neighbor?
    I heard he moved there-
  6. A good friend of mine is from there but stays here now, from the stories i've heard of the place i definatly want to visit
  7. willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    spent a few months playing there about 11 yrs ago in a hotel band,interesting place.
  8. Thanks for the comments, and yeah Michael Jackson is somewhere over here :p.
  9. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    My company has a branch office there (Gulf Assist) and I
    know the manager. Maybe I´ll visit the country someday.
  10. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    I lived there for three years off the Janabiya highway near Budaya, actually closer to Banijamra. I played in the Mississippi Sheikhs while I was there, playing at the Dilmun Club, the British Club, Dilstock. The US Navy 5th Fleet is headquartered there. We used to play on bass every 2-3 weeks. Nice gig. They supplied the back line and we played from 6-8pm. Sweet.

Loved Bahrain. It's way nicer than Dubai. Huge Shiite community. I highly recommend you go out of your way to learn about the local culture. It's very rich.

In the off chance you're a student at St.Chris, track down Manny Cordero. He played guitar in our band and now teaches there. Smokin hot player. Please say hello to him if you know him. Tell him Brian says hi.

Enjoy Eid. I miss Ramadan in the Bahrain. It's a drag during the day, but the place comes alive at night. All night. It's amazing how many people gain weight during Ramadan. Ever eat at Al Abraj?

Radio Bahrain used to play one of our songs we recorded.

Enjoy your time there. It's a wonderful place.
  11. Thank You :D

wow BMC, youve been here for a while, well im not in St.Chiris, but I know people who are there, I'll tell them to say hello to your friend aight ;).

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the visit in the island, yeah ive eaten at Al-Abraj, its a great place, I love their corn and chicken soup hehe :p,
    Ramadan is almost done though, you're right, Bahrain really does come alive at the night time in Ramadan.

Radio Bahrain played your song? thats pretty cool, no band here except maybe 2 or 3 have thier songs played on the radio, ever hear about Osiris, theyre like this legendary band here.
  12. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Bahrain is considered one of the nicest places in the Mid East. I haven't been there, but it is on my list
  13. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    If you are looking for a band, track down Manny. He's a great guitarist and a great guy. He's been gigging all of his life. He has to be pushing 50 but that never stopped him before. I understand gigging hit a bit of a snag a few years back after the emir died. There was a clamp down on live music. I don't know what the status of it is.

Still have friends in Bahrian that we stay in touch with. If ever you see a yellow Ferrari F355 driven by an older guy to and from the BDF, his name is Ken. He's a doctor and a great guy. Remember this post and tell him how we connected. Then see if he can take you for a spin. :p
  14. I just asked a student in St.Chris, he says he knows many, and hes gonna tell him you say hi tomorow, he says Manny taught him how to play guitar...
  15. bmc

Nov 15, 2003

Even smaller world. Just had dinner tonight with my next door neighbor in Bahrain. He lives in the UK now and was in town on business. Haven't seen him since 2001.

Eid is just around the corner. Eid Mubarrak habibi.!
  16. Thanks man :D eid mubarak to you too. Good to hear that a TBer stayed here for a while.
    by the way, what was your bands name?
  17. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    The Mississippi Sheikhs
  18. bmc

Nov 15, 2003

It beats Dubai hands down. The locals are friendlier than the locals in Abu Dhabi. Kuwaiti's are snobby and think they're better than others in the Gulf. Bahrain is not as geographically pretty as Oman. The Omani's are a very gentle, welcoming people. Rich history linked to Zanzibar and East Africa makes for an interesting mix of cultures. Sinbad the sailor was from Oman.

Bahrain has a rich history going back 5,000 years. They've been seeing traders coming through their port for thousands of years. They are very welcoming of other cultures. Strong Shiite community that outnumbers the Sunni population, yet the ruling family is Sunni and all key positions in government and business are sunni. Four Jewish families in Bahrain.

GWB has a long history in Bahrain having landed sovereign drilling rights in Bahrain as payback for the 1991 Gulf War. He drilled three wells, had an IPO, cashed out and they never found oil. The fact that Bahrain ran out of oil in 1961 may have had something to do with it.

Long, long standing close ties with the USA. I used to see the UNSCOM Hercules aircraft at the airport, shuttling weapons inspectors to/from Iraq fairly often.

The food is awesome.
  19. Every American ive met here says the same thing haha, hail shawarmas, how can something like that cost 35 cents :p.
  20. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    How much is gas now? Still 100 fils?

Where do you get your favorite shawarmas? There's a great spot near the Gulf Hotel, not far from Up a Tree Cup a tea (or whatever it was called. Is Mezaluna still there? The chef's name was Lorainne. A wild red head party animal that was executive chef there and at another restaurant. Incredible chef. I miss the fruit shakes.

What part of the island do you live in and where are you from originally? Do you know Kishore at Bahrain Auto Service? Well known guy in the expat community.

I miss my shawarmas, fruit shakes, the mosques going off at sunrise, sunset, etc, the palm trees, sandy beaches. My kids miss Bahrain more than they miss Canada. It was a special place.