Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any teacher recomendations for New York City?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bassdivo, Nov 16, 2003.

1. I am a bassist in New York City attending the jazz program at New School University. The program allows you to take lessons with any teacher in the New York area. I'm a fairly advanced player but I want to really have someone who can help my technique. Electric bass experience would be nice too. Tell me who are the taskmasters in NYC :D

2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Donosaur and I have each had extremely positive experiences studying with Michael Moore. He's a gracious person. He has a thoroughly-considered teaching method. He's a true virtuoso and a deep musician.

Michael is sometimes slagged by the downtowners as a "conservative" player because many of his high-profile gigs are straightahead. Don't let them fool you: Listen to the music. Michael is a risk-taking jazz artist and an agressive backer (that's a compliment in my book) who uses standards as his platform.

Whoever you choose, have fun!

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Pat Pfeiffer 212-831-8146 - at least that was his number several years ago. he's expensive but has a great reputation and i think he's one of the best. I was only able to afford a couple of lessons with him, but I got a lot out of them. I also interviewed a lot of teachers and he seemed to be the only one that really got through to me. Great guy too.

4. Michael Moore

I second that!! Michaels'a gem and an added feature he's a good pianist, which really can make it more like a hang or a session, instead of a formal lesson. I haven't studied with him, but thanks to one of our most popular posters here at TBDB, i've heard tapes of lessons with him and it was pure fun!!

5. Michael is very hard to reach since he signed on with Brubeck.
    Harvie S plays electric as well as DB, and is a top-tier bassist. You can track him down through Manhattan School of Music.
    Ed Fuqua always swore by Joe Solomon.

6. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I second Harvie S. Terrific, serious teacher not interested in gladhanding you. If you want to improve, he's great.

7. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I third Harvie - I played bass in a an ensemble at Manhattan School of Music (they were short a bass player so I got the call). Wonderful guy, easy-going AND serious 'bout the music.

You could try Eugene Levinson, who is the principal bassist in the New York Philharmonic. Maybe a bit tough to book him, but surely well worth it. Don't be turned off by Classical players - they'll get your technique up to insane levels.

Also, there's a guy called Omer Avital who in my book is the most innovative upright player to emerge in the last 20 years. He plays the upright in a very "guitaristic" style and swings hard too. He used to be a regular at Smalls' - you could find him through Mitch Borden, the owner at Fat Cat. I don't even know if he gives lessons, but he's a fantastic player. He has a CD out "Think With Your Heart", check it out if you haven't.

Also, check out the Musician's Union and places like that - there are a lot of very famous players that are semi-retired or poor that would love the chance to teach you and make some bread. You'll be surprised who you could find in the city ( though I can't remember specifically now).

Good luck in your search. I might see you at the New School in a year or two! I wanna do some more formal training.