Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any teachers/mentors in the Toronto area?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by crazyphil, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Brampton would be ideal but Mississauga or surrounding area would be ok too.

I'm looking for a teacher/mentor. Not someone who tells me to go and practice page 46 of some book, but someone who can share their insight and tips/tricks. Also someone who can give me advice on form and techniques. I'll pay, or supply the beer/pizza :) Your choice.

2. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Hey Ed,

That reminds me of a joke: "So you're Canadian, are you? I have this aunt in Halifax. . ."
    Anyhow, I'm a Vancouver guy -north of Seattle. Toronto is closer to NY.

I do know some good teachers in TO. Check out Marc Rogers -GREAT player, originally from here. Plays electric, and upright, does it all. Best regards,
    Laurence

3. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Hey Ed, did you hear about our new President, Tim Horton? :D

New episode of "Talking to Americans" in the making here!

4. Hey thrash-man: Be nice to Ed, or he will give you tons of boring scale work to do as punishment. And remember, being American he is geographically challenged (I think its the gene pool?).... ;)

****quickly dons flame-retardant suit and awaits the inevitable*****

5. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Sssh! I just wanna see if he notices!

I'm sure Ed knows his geography quite well, but I guess visitors are having difficulty telling one igloo from another. ;)

6. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Look what I started!:rolleyes:
    Just for the record, I love Americans!
    LM

7. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Meow!
    I be da cat on da scene wit dat hookup!

Hey Ed, yes that Ian Froman is a monster drummer. Chris Tarry is living here now, though like me, is originally from Alberta. I think have electrical power now there for the sealhunt, and Our Eskimo President -Gordon Lightfoot- just legalized television!

8. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    As do I, of course! Still, it isn't every day that the EDQUA leaves himself open for a joke or two, so I couldn't resist! :p

Too ****ing Coldville

That's around here, although it does get worse elsewhere. Ed - I'm guessing there won't be any Jon Raney tours come the winter months, then?

Seriously, might you ever tour around here?

9. CtheOp

CtheOp

Oct 11, 2001
    Toronto, Canada
    Hey CrazyPhil: I take lessons from an amazing player here in Toronto (Yonge-Bloor area). Don't know how willing or able you are to travel to the downtown core from Brampton - but I'll guarantee it's worth the drive. He comes back from the gig he's currently playing in mid-September. I won't post his name and phone number here, so e-mail me if you want details. You can e-mail me at chriso@ca.ibm.com

10. CtheOp

CtheOp

Oct 11, 2001
    Toronto, Canada
    Oops.... I meant Mississauga, not Brampton.

And they say Americans don't know geography.

11. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Ed,

If you do make it up to NH, let me know!

Chris A.:rolleyes:
    in NH

12. ***removes flame-retardant suit - not even burnt!!***

Hey Ed: I really would be interested is hearing/meeting you as well. There are a number of Jazz fests around the great white north that would be great settings for the trio.

Also, we have a singer up here you should catch some time if she gets to NY - Laura Hubert. Her recordings don't do her justice - live she just kicks! Sort of like "Cleo Laine sings the standards on major steroids", stuff like Memphis in June, Blue Skies, That Girl at Joe's etc. Style much like Audrey Silver on your mp3 (love your sound on that BTW, just enough and right on!)

Good to see you have the required sense of humour (correct spelling, eh) to put up with us envious TB'ers (and those who should be!)

13. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    Marc is great originally from Ontario moved here then back, known him for years...

14. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Right! I forgot he's one of "them easterners". I knew him way back when he was about 16 and taking lessons with Kerry Galloway. Monster.

15. smakbass

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    yeah he was pretty great after a year playing, I know he had a strong background in Piano...I took Lessons from Kerry back then,,,I remember meeting a cool bald bassist from Edmonton back then too

16. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    "Cool Bald Bassist from Edmonton"
    Is there an album title in there?

Actually, Ed Friedland and I were talking about starting a club with Tony Levin for follically challenged bass bro's. . .
    :D

17. smakbass

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    Hah no doubt, I really enjoyed meeting Ed at the VBC love his humour and attitude...

18. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    EGGY - Unfortunately, most of the jazz clubs around here are quite small. We do have an annual jazz festival, and just a couple of weeks ago there was a week-long "International Jam Sessions" thing going on.

You're right about tours, they are a pain in the rear. I suppose that with a day job, it'd be pretty well impossible, wouldn't it?

BTW I have been looking for your CD, can't find it...

Big O - where are you at? By your nickname, I'm guessing Montreal?

19. Grew up in Montreal, now in the TO outskirts (Orangeville) with a large number of anglo refugees!!
    Laura Hubert Unfortunately, no mp3's on-line, email her and her bandleader (Peter Hill) from the website - they might have something available.