Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Tech 21 RBI Preamp Users?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mike, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    After the recent purchase of my Sans Amp DI unit I am very much interested in the rack mounted version. I run my Status Empathy 5 into the Sans Amp and then into my Eden WT 300. All the tone I've ever wanted comes from the Sans Amp. Anyone own a rack mounted version? And, is the tonal quality identical to the box? I'm finding my Eden head is nearly useless without the Sans Amp anymore. I'm just hoping with the RBI's limited controls, it will produce enough balanced tone. I read reviews on Harmony Central... all good. But would like to hear from some TB'ers too.

Anybody?

Thanks.

2. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    I use my RBI in front of a Hartke 7000. Really love the tone it gives me. It's comparable to the DI but with more I/O options and a mid control. Best $299.00 I ever spent.

Hey, I see you're WNY'er too. Do you post on the WNY board?

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Have one. Love it.

I use it to drive a Carvin DCM1000 into a pair of Bag End S15Ds. Great preamp.

4. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    No, what is the web address? Never heard of the WNY board...

Have you used the RBI as a stand alone preamp or strictly between the two? I'm also wondering what it sounds like on it's own. Do you still find the need to adjust your Harkte or is the Sans Amp enough?

5. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Does the RBI has a "blend" knob or something???

6. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali

Do you find you need any other tone shaping tool or is the RBI enough? As a test, I just plugged into the Sans Amp and set all controls on my WM's 10 flat and it sounded killer. I'll have to try this with my Eden. I'm seriously considering dumping the Eden. I just want to make sure I can get enough out of it.

7. I own an RBI, its sweet. I run it into a Mackie 1400i
    then to a pair of Bag End S-15d's and an SWR WM 10. The RBI Does have a blend feature. It's a tube emulator circuit, and I pretty much leave it a 100% all the time. I had an SVP-pro, and there are more tonal opportunities with the RBI in my opinion. Just get one.

8. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Yes, there is a blend knob.

Currently, I use the RBI as a pre into the Hartke effects return, bypassing the SS and tube pre on the Hartke. This utilizes the EQ and and volume controls on the Hartke. I pretty much keep the bass and treble controls flat and the EQ has a slight mid bump. I try to utilize the tone controls on the RBI as oppposed to the Hartke.
    I've also used it in front of the Hartke going into the inputs on the front of the 7000. Both ways had similiar sound, but a higher signal with somewhat more noise, going into the Hartke main inputs.

Here's the WNY board.

WNYmusic.com

I've seen your band name on there a few times. From the southtowns?

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm happy with the tone shaping powers of my RBI, and actually run it very close to indicated flat. I also use minimal presence, and keep the blend below 12:00. This week, anyway.

10. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Thanks all. And Doug, we are from the rock and roll cap of the earth: Jamestown! Any good places to play in the Buff area? We can't find any. What band are you in?

11. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Cool!
    Been to the old Bullfrog back in the 80's when I lived in Dunkirk/Fredonia area. Unfortunately, I don't remember much of the place. ;)

Drop me an email with the style you cover Dslbass@adelphia.net and I can direct you to the venues that cater to that style. I was in a band called Scapegoat (Hard rock/metal covers). Got fairly popular here in Buffalo before disbanding this past summer. I am putting a new project together doing half original and half covers.

12. I also use an RBI that I use with a Carvin R1000 head.I had the pedal type before and had the same experiance you had with your Eden head.Once I used the Sans Amp with the head I couldn't stand the sound without it.I got the RBI because it's easier to adjust on a dark stage when it's in your rack instead of a pedal on the floor.The RBI seems to have better tone control than the pedal and a little more output.I run mine into the effects loop of the Carvin.I will probably dump the Carvin head and get a Carvin power amp someday.The RBI has plenty of EQ to run by itself and also has an effects loop built in.You can probably tell I love mine also.

13. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Hey....Blues Bass 2 (George),

Still have the Millennium? I kept the Pedulla for a bit, wrestled with it and couldn't get it under control. Where did all that high end clackiing come from?! ;)

I sold it and have since gone thru a rash of basses but I finally settled with another Status 5. What I wanted the whole time but was too cheap to fork out the $. No more Eden for you? I think the Sans Amp might be the way to go... nothing but killer tone!

Mike

14. Hi Pale Ale,
    Yes I still have the Millenium 5 and love it.The Pedulla was really cool but I couldn't control it either,I thought it was my technique.
    I still have my 210XLT and am trying to soup up a SWR workingmans 212 that I got in a bad trade(I never should have let my other 210XLT get away). You can't go wrong with the RBI.If you like the Bass Driver pedal the RBI is even better.
    Thanks again for hooking me up with the Millenium and I'm glad you got what you wanted too.It's kind of strange ending up with two of the same basses but you did too so it can't be all bad.

15. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I'm beginning to think that having two of the same is the only way to go. When I find the tone, I don't wanna wrestle. I want everything to produce the tone. That's why I'm considering offing the Eden for a Tech 21 RBI and power amp set up and ultimately decided to go with all Status basses. I hate plugging something different in and having to tweak everything back to the tone I wanted in the first place. Pure headache...

Bummer about your trade. Another wrestling match..

See ya...

16. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Hey another WNY user here... Doug I saw your old band Scapegoat at The Purple Moose one night.. A friend of mine worked with the guitar player... I'm in N.T. between Niagara Falls and Buffalo.. The RBI is a great little preamp... Very versatile and in expensive.. I still wish I had mine, but I sold it when I bought a Kern IP-777..

17. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Ugh! You caught us on a baaaad night. :D
    Did you introduce yourself? Did you come up with Bob R.?

18. SCT1422

Yes I came with Bob R. I don't remember if I introduced myself, but I was the one with a cast on my right hand... Bob R. and I are working together now, we're reforming a band that was around a few years ago called Bad Animals.. They did alot of Heart covers...

19. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Steve, I'm taking a long shot here but I think we may have met briefly at the last Musician's Flea Mkt in Buff. Were you hanging out at the Bass Palace kiosk? I'm guessing only b/c I checked your profile and I remeber playing a Moon 5 and speaking with someone, who I'm presuming was you, that owned it and was trying to sell it and a couple Bag Ends. HMMM... The Moon was sweet. I'm usually not into the Fender style instruments but that thing could have changed my ways... I think it was blue...?

The three of us need to get together and put out a WNY Bass Extremes CD a la Wooten and Bailey. We'll title it Bass Excretions or something like that. Chicks will flock by the millions...
    :)

Mike

20. SCT1422

Yes Mike, that was me... I no longer have the Moon or the Bag Ends... Man I have to change my profile soon... You'll have to look me up, I know alot of the local bass players and we always recommend each other for gigs... Steve..
    (SCT1422@MSN.COM)