Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any 'tech-splanation' for how a phaser works.......

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nunk6, Nov 20, 2000.

1. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    how does a phaser work?
    *is it possible to make one? i know joris had said he had a phaser in a homemade multi guitar effects thing, not that that means i'll ever be able to make one...but it can be done

yea and does anyone know a link to where i could hear on phaser used on a bass??
    thanks

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    A phaser uses an analog delay to generate a phase shifted version of the signal. The shift is modulated by an oscillator so the amount of shift changes over time. When the delayed signal is mixed back with the original signal, phase cancellations occur which is referred to in engineering as "comb filtering".

Yes, but they're so cheap (Danelectro phasers are only $40 brand new) to buy there's no cost incentive to build one. The analog delay chips used in phasers are getting scarce and expensive.

A link to Ted Nugent's song "Strangelehold"

http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserve...D/album.html/ArtistID=NUGENT*TED/ITEMID=25326

A link to the O'Jays song "For The Love of Money"

http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserve...FIND/album.html/artistid=O'JAYS/itemid=317166

3. Need to set something straight here. A phaser has a VERY short delay time. Mine didn't use an analog delay, but 4 digitally controlled all-pass filters, which have a delay of a few microseconds each. A flanger works just like a phaser, but with a delay time long enough to have to use a delay chip, just like chorus. Flanger and chorus are the same thing, 'cept that flange uses a feedback loop and chorus doesn't.

It's not worth building one yourself, because for a beginner (I assume you are one) it's a quite complicated design, and impossible to get it right the first time. Parts will cost about $20, a case another 20$ and jacks and a battery $10 more, so when you're ready to work for two weeks on the thing, feel free to do so. Like Brianrost said, for a few bucks more (or even less!!!) you have a ready-made working stomp box.......

Just to fill in the details.

4. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    thanks yea i actually didnt want to drive off to a guitar center or anywhere where i could try one; and the idea of making one as a project just came up, but maybe i wont start with something so complicated; a loaf of bread will do just fine

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If you're looking for DIY effects projects, distortions are the easiest ones to put togther. When you consider that those "vintage" 60s fuzz boxes that sell for hundreds of bucks used only need about $20 in parts and the schematics are widely available, well...