Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any thoughts on Aria?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hades420, May 30, 2003.

1. hades420

hades420

May 30, 2003
    I was lookin on the net and i found a really cool bass. Its an Aria tab60. It has that kind of old gibson look to it. I dont know any thing about aria. Anyone played one and what do you think of it.

2. On the whole I have heard mainly good things about aria's. Haven't played that many, just a couple from the integra range. I was looking at the TAB 60 but was warned of it by a mate of mine that works at shop. According to him aria have made nicer semi's in the past (sorry i have forgotten the model number) and he said the F holes are actually painted on, and so it won't have that good acoustic properties (comparatively). It's still a nice bass, but perhaps something from epiphone might be worth considering if its the gibson vibe you are after.
    Good luck H

3. My first bass was an Aria Pro II (I can't remember the model, it was something like a random sequence of numbers and letters!). It had passive PJ pickups, a P-style body (w/o pickguard) and a Jackson-style headstock. It was a very cool bass to begin with, better than most low-end crap you find in stores.

The Integra series look fine. You can hear one played by Billy Gould on early Faith No More albums. Maybe not the best tone but still OK.

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Aria has put their name on everything from junk to very nice instruments.

5. My main bass is an Aria IGB68 fretless five.

It's about the best bass I could have got for the money, very well constructed, good woodwork, the electrics are quiet and good sounding.

Dunno about any other Arias (apart from Jack Bruce's old one that the college has) but mine is very very nice.

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

70s neckthru Aria basses are fantastic instruments.
    I guess they're what you mean by gibson-like, although they're more like Alembic wannabes

7. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    i have one of the jb they make, and it's a very cool bass, it's made of alder, and the neck is maple and rosewood. Its a cool bass, and it sounded cool with the stock pups, now it has dimarzios (dp123) and its now a killer bass for the money. I want to play it now, but i have tendonitis or something like that(don't know how to translate that), so i have to wait 2 weeks more.:bawl:

8. I've got an Aria PE style bass - like a Les Paul Body, two big humbuckers and active circuit. It's a short scale - like the TAB - at 32". Main problem for me is that the bottom E just doesn't sound good AND trying to get strings for this is a real problem - there's only two or three options. The TAB is an Epiphone copy and will probably feed back like those used to - and the short scale will give you a bit of a tubby sound - bit like the old Gibson EB3 sound on Free's "Alright Now".

I don't like my Aria much - although the quality is just fine - I just can't seem to get a decent bass tone from it. I'm running it into an Ashdown MAG250 so I don't think it's the amp. Has anyone come across one of these Aria PE shaped basses (Made 1999 I think) and has a diagnostic on what I have to do to get a good sound. Strangely it sounds better with all the EQ turned right off on Bass and Treble (doesn't say much for the active pre-amp)