Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any thoughts on bandsaw replacement blade

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Jan 6, 2006.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I have a jet 12 bandsaw. Wish I would have gotten the 14 but too late. I need a new blade and there seem to be several choices. I am looking at timberwolf blades 82" the questions I have are 1/4" or 3/16"? Also what # of teeth to go with. Here is a link to the products. What would you builders suggest?

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4811

2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    the blade width and pitch will vary by what you plan to be doing. changing blades to suit a task is common. if you plan to re-saw for bookmatching (prolly not, as you have a 12" model) you'll definitely use a different blade width and pitch than what you'd use for cutting out bodies.

what things do you plan to be doing primarily - this will aid in making a recommendation (or two)

All the best,

R

3. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I've got the same bandsaw (and the same wish for a bigger one), and use the Timberwolf blades. I used the 1/4" 10 tpi for cutting out a body shape from the glued-up blank, and the 1/2" 4 tpi for long, straight or near-straight cuts. The 1/4" is much better for curved cuts, though the smaller blades (3/16" or 1/8") would give more accurate cuts.

4. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    It will be used mostly for cutting out bodies. I am leaning toward the 1/4" but I am unsure about the number of teeth per inch........t

5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    The thicker the piece you are cutting the fewer TPI you want. The higher the TPI the smoother the cut. Call Suffolk and ask them. They'll recommend a blade for you.

I think I just buy the lowest tooth count since I always end up at the oscillating spindle sander anyways and I like to be able to cut anything with whatever blade I have on there.

6. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Thanks you go with the lower tooth number on thicker materials because????????? Cuts faster? :confused:

I would be using it for cutting out bodies mostly.....t

7. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Yes, they are able to clear more waste more quickly on thicker materials.

8. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    The general rule on the bandsaw is three or more teeth in the work. That means 3 TPI for 1" material. If you get too many teeth per inch, the tiny teeth will clog. Take a hacksaw to a piece of wood and you'll see what happens right away.

The one with the biggest teeth you can find will probably be right for you. Wider blades don't turn as well, so if you need to cut around smaller curves, get the narrower blade.

9. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Cool so you would suggest the 1/4" 4 teeth per inch blade. Correct?

10. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx

That sounds like a winner to me.

Be sure to adjust your guides so that they ride only on the flat parts of the blade. If you let the teeth push back into the guides it will damage the blade and the guides. Not so much that it won't work though, just enough to make you wonder later on why you can't make a nice cut on that saw :D

11. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    You might want to invest in a couple of different sizes and see which you like the best. Right now I have 1/4" and 1/2" on hand. Most of the cuts I make can be managed with the 1/2" blade but the 1/4" blade is good for tight corners. I have used a 3/8" timberwolf in the past and that was a pretty versatile blade.

12. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    got the 4 tooth. Sweet. I think my old blades were getting dull....t