Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any thoughts on Cakewalk Home Studio XL?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by JohnL, Dec 17, 2002.

1. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    This is the new version, with unlimited tracks, includes mastering and compression, plus DXi drum sampler and Sound Canvas soft synth, for $149. Is there anything else out there that has these features that is a better bargain? I had looked at Sonar 2.0 XL, but this is half the price! Per my earlier thread, I want to be able to program some perc tracks, and lay down a few ideas on keys, guitar, and bass, and be able to burn it to my built in CD writer and give to folks. Whaddaya think?

2. I used to be a big cakewalk fan etc. And it is still good to some extent. My guitarist recently upgraded to Cubase which is 100% compatible with all cakewalk plugins and cubase uses Wave Lab too. Sounds so much better, better control over the wave forms and far more options. Midi too.

:D:D

Merls

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    It's a good deal for the price. I've used Sonar 2.0 XL, and though I use Nuendo now, I have to admit it's not bad.

4. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Thanks guys! I was just wondering if there was anything else out there that will do what this does for the same money. Obviously, I could get much more features by spending much more bucks. I wasn't really looking to become a professional recording studio, just wanted a good program to lay down some ideas that I could share with others.

5. Then cakewalk is perfect for that. You might even be able to download it for free of some hack site or Kazzaa :rolleyes:

:D:D

Merls

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    There is something damn close to free floating around, though it might not have most of what your looking for, N-tracks? something like that.

7. randomname

randomname

Aug 12, 2002
    Have a look round for places selling old stock of Sonar 1 XL. I'm in the UK, but I found one for about £80 (it's usually about £200), and to be honest there isn't a huge difference between the two. Versions 2's an improvement, but I'd take version 1 over Home Studio if you can find it at a similar price.

8. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Thanks, I'll check around. I had not seen a version 1.0 anywhere, thanks for the tip!

9. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    If you really would like to know were alot of the free-type on line-studio/free down loads of good recording software,then you should check out the Hip-hop magazine The Source'.I'm telling you,these cats in the hip-hop community seems to know were a lot of these download sites are.

try this 1:www.H20.com i'm sure there are plenty more of them around.hope this help

10. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Dude..thats a boating supply store...what does that have to do with recording software. :rolleyes:

11. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Sorry John,I called my son right after I read your thread and did informed me that h2o is no longer him and his fellow Thugs.....err buddies now use www.UrbanMafia.com.Go check it out it seems like a pretty good site,Again sorry for the misinfo. :rolleyes:

12. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ