Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any thoughts on steven jay

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by gruffpuppy, Jan 3, 2001.

1. weird al's bass player, saw them last year and they rocked.

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I haven't picked up any Weird Al discs in a while, but I have always thought his band didn't get the credit they deserve. To have to play so many styles over the course of a show is alot to ask of any musician, let alone including polka, thrash, reggae, country, etc.

3. Stephen Jay (Weird Al's bassist) is one of my absolute favorites. He's really incredible. Check out http://www.stephenjay.com and listen to the clips from his solo works - he's great.

He's travelled to something like 25 countries, he's studied the African talking drums and various other percussion in master classes, he has a degree in songwriting, and he's one of Al's best friends. How cooler can a person get? :)

Most songwriters make the bass the backbone of the song. He's said that he tries to make the bass the exoskeleton. After listening to "What the Voodoo Became" as many times as I have, I have to agree. :)

That is all.

4. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Yeah, he´s really cool..I have always liked his basslines

5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Go to stephenjay.com and check out his "Theory of Harmonic Rhythm" in the 'articles' section. He has "observed that harmony and rhythm are really the same thing happening at radically different speeds." It's an intriguing concept but I can't do justice to it so I suggest you look it up for yourself.