Any thoughts on the BBE MaxCom?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dmaki, Oct 2, 2004.

1. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    I stumbled upon the BBE site the other day and saw they have a new product out called the MaxCom, which has 2 mono channels combining a Sonic Maximizer, Compressor, and a Gate. This sounds like a pretty good idea for an inexpensive multi-effect unit.

Has anyone tried one or own one? I searched the forum but couldn't find too much about it.

I'm trying to think how it would be most useful. Here are a couple of my ideas:

A) Bass -> Channel One (Noise Gate + Compression) -> Effect Pedals -> Preamp -> Effect Loop -> Channel Two (Sonic Maximizer) -> Power Amp

My G&L tends to have a slight hum to it when its in active mode and under florescent lights, so I figured I could use Channel One to cut out the noise before I send the signal to my effect pedals (autowah, distortion, phaser) as to avoid having the hum phase/buzz when I'm not playing, and the compressor to tame the AutoWah a bit. Channel Two would then be placed in the effects loop to get the Sonic Maximizer as far down the signal path as possible.

B) Bass -> Preamp -> Effects Loop -> splitter to both Channels One and Two -> A/B box -> Power Amp

If I was in a situation where I didn't use my effect pedals, this setup would essentially provide me with 2 compression settings that would be footswitchable (One for light compression, Two for Slap compression)

Do you think these ideas are sound? How do you/would you set yours up?