Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any thoughts on the BBE MaxCom?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dmaki, Oct 2, 2004.

1. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I stumbled upon the BBE site the other day and saw they have a new product out called the MaxCom, which has 2 mono channels combining a Sonic Maximizer, Compressor, and a Gate. This sounds like a pretty good idea for an inexpensive multi-effect unit.

Has anyone tried one or own one? I searched the forum but couldn't find too much about it.

I'm trying to think how it would be most useful. Here are a couple of my ideas:

A) Bass -> Channel One (Noise Gate + Compression) -> Effect Pedals -> Preamp -> Effect Loop -> Channel Two (Sonic Maximizer) -> Power Amp

My G&L tends to have a slight hum to it when its in active mode and under florescent lights, so I figured I could use Channel One to cut out the noise before I send the signal to my effect pedals (autowah, distortion, phaser) as to avoid having the hum phase/buzz when I'm not playing, and the compressor to tame the AutoWah a bit. Channel Two would then be placed in the effects loop to get the Sonic Maximizer as far down the signal path as possible.

B) Bass -> Preamp -> Effects Loop -> splitter to both Channels One and Two -> A/B box -> Power Amp

If I was in a situation where I didn't use my effect pedals, this setup would essentially provide me with 2 compression settings that would be footswitchable (One for light compression, Two for Slap compression)

Do you think these ideas are sound? How do you/would you set yours up?