Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any thoughts on the Ibanez SPR400?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mongeaux, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Mongeaux

Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    Have any of you guys tried the Ibanez SRP400? A guy I chat with online just got one and he is raving about it.
    http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/series.asp?s=srp&l=b

He pulled out the active pickup and put in a Duncan vintage P. Then put on a set of Ti flats.

He claims the bass is better than the Fender American Pbass at the price of only $390

I have been saving to get the Fender Delux Pbass special *the one with the jazz neck and gold pickgard* which runs a lil over $500
    http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0135700

He swears up and down this bass blows away Fenders that cost over twice as much cash. My local store does not have one in stock for me to try out so I thought I would ask if any of you have tried them.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My thought: creepy.

Ibanez taking their unique, small-bodied, pickguard-less designs and ripping off old man Leo.

3. I'd save up for the fender or get a G&L sb-2 tribute.

4. Mongeaux

Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    You guys have already made up your minds but have never played the bass in question? I am past the point where I pay attention to name brands. Way to many basses now days wearing the Fender logo and total crap. If I can find a bass that is: lighter, better balanced, sounds as good, playes better and is cheaper, I'll buy it no matter what brand it is.

I just want some feedback from those who have played the Ibanez before I drive all the way into New Orleans from where I live. Its like a 75 mile trip :/

5. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    by looks what I like about it is the 24 fret neck and the bridge.

6. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Hear hear!! :D

I agree with you - I think it's something that I've been guilty of as well, but I'm trying hard to not make those kinda mistakes again :)
    Anyways, so far my experience with Ibanez basses have been good (my main axe is a SR990). They balance well and don't weigh like a tank.
    I'm not too sure how the bass will sound like, but I suspect that it'd have a huge vintage p tone - IMHO, it's worth the trip :D

7. reptilia

reptilia

Jun 7, 2006
    Lost in SoCal
    i have it, and im not happy nor sad with it :D. not the best bass out there but for the price it wont be beat.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    And only 26 months after the last post! Not bad.

But I read my initial post above and couldn't believe I said that in the long run. The SPR400 has really grown on me.