Any thoughts on the Modulus Flea 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by masaki_v, Apr 3, 2003.

1. My Tobias Growler 5 was stolen (see my other post) and I'm looking to replace her with a Modulus Flea 5. If you own or have played this bass, please give me any and all input. Pick-up conbinations, electronics, how much you paid, etc. I live in S. California, so where do I buy one? Thank you very much.

Terence (Masaki)
  2. As the sun sets

As the sun sets Guest

Dec 10, 2002
    N. Easton, MA
    I have owned a Modulus Flea 5. I sold it because it didn't have the sound I was looking for. Don't get me wrong - it sounds great - I was just looking for something else, and I found it in my Rick 4001. Mine had a Lane Poor pickup in it, green metallic paint, white pearloid pickguard. I got it for $1150 from the Harmony-Central classifieds. It had 2 chips out of the finish on the headstock, so the price was brought down a bit. I know some places like have them in stock, and you can custom order them. It was a great bass. It played very smoothly, and it was pretty damned light because of the graphite neck. Always stayed in tune! I think if it's what you want - get it. It's a very nice bass (I might even pick one up again sometime)
  3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I had one before (actually it was only a 4 string)...

Good bass.. Single Lane Poor MM style pup had a good sound..

Good luck!
  4. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I had one as well, it had a bartolini pickup with an Agular pre-amp. I liked it alot at first, but then decided it wasn't the sound I was looking for. Mine also had problems with the strings I like, meaning that the B was floppy (I like DR strings). Whatever strings it came with (I bought it used) were much better on it. I ended up selling it like after a month or two to someone here on TB. Ohh...I remember why I sold it now, it was due to the string spacing. It was closer to 17mm at the bridge, I really like 19mm. I sold it to buy a Lakland Skyline JO/5, but that didn't work out, so I bought a Sadowsky RJ5 (used) instead.
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I just recently got a flea 4, same sparkly finish as this chap can be seen playing here...

I can't comment on the 5 obviously, but I was wanting a good punchy 4 banger for slap, fingerstyle and pick. Haven't gigged with it yet, but it cut through the mix at rehearsal like no other. It's so naturally ZINGY, the treble boost on the OBP-1 just isn't needed.