1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any thoughts on the new Schecter Stiletto Vintage?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FenderBender82, Mar 28, 2015.

1. I remember when schecter started hitting the scene about 15-20 years ago, cheap 7-strings and Goth-kid basses with EMG's (not my thing). I never payed any mind to them but a few months ago on my quest for a bass to get me back into 5's that is made dificult by fender and musicmans refusal to offer 35 inch scale, I came across a session Riot-5. It was decent for the $550 price at GC. swamp ash, 35 inch scale, maple board and 18V pre-amp. Though it still had EMG's, they didnt sound that weak and I felt that a pre-amp upgrade and eventually better pickups it would be a winner. But I never bought it.
    session-riot-5-ans-bodytilt-high9. Schecter-Riot-5-Session-and-Riot-4-Session-Basses.
    Fastforward to present time and Sweetwater is pushing the Stiletto Vintage 5 on me. Basswood body, 35 inch rosewood neck, J/MM schecter pickups with 9V pre-amp and a cool non-thru bridge. I have not tried one but the $450 price is tempting.
    stiletto-vintage-5-3tsb-body-laying-highres. 17431-desktop.
    Has anyone had expeirence with this model that could shead some light on the subject?

gnarlyWarlock and bholder like this.
  2. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Haven't played either but that looks rather nice.

3. It doesnt look like something GC would keep in stock

4. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Looks like a good bass. Wish I could try one!

5. scourgeofgod

scourgeofgod

Aug 17, 2006
    I think it's cool but I think I'd like it better if it was all black..... yeah, matte black.... they could call it the "stealth" model....yeah, that's the ticket

stiletto-stealth-5-sbk.

6. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    To each his own!

7. i've had friends who played matte black guitars and over time their clothes and sweat polish the matte parts to a dull shine. not sure if matte paint technology has improved but I had a motorcycle with matte paint and it was a bitch to clean. I like the p/mm setup though

8. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Didn't we have this exact discussion last month? ;) (But that time, I posted the Stealth.) :D

scourgeofgod likes this.
  9. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Someone just asked in the last couple of days, actually. I think both basses look pretty darned good. Worth the $$? Lots of competition for sure.

10. baceface

baceface

Dec 28, 2014
    Pennsylvania

Looks like it could possibly be the best bass for metal... lol

selowitch likes this.
  11. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    The aluminum-necked Kramer is clearly the best bass for metal.

Robpurdy likes this.
  12. my dad has one. its sooo zingy. thats the only way to describe it

selowitch likes this.
  13. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Ought to get an aluminum body to go with! :D
    Seriously, someone needs to put a Kramer or Travis Bean neck on one of these:
    alumibass-chrome-side-big.

14. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Whoa! What's that thing??

15. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
  16. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I imagine the resulting mutt would have one heckuva slap tone!

17. Lim

Lim

Apr 5, 2015
    Schecters are value for money if you don't mind it made in Asia. With some upgrades, yes, i'd say you're looking at a winner.

18. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Of course, if you do mind it being made in Asia, you're pretty much locked out of this entire end of the market anyway. Some very well made instruments are coming out of various places in Asia these days. Some ripoffs as well, of course, that's true regardless of country of manufacture, most probably.

Robpurdy likes this.
  19. I dont mind asian instruments at all. I've played a pbass lyte from japan for over 10 years. what i dont like is when companies like lakeland, PRS and Sandberg start making imported copies of their legendary instruments and try to get twice what their worth. put a lakland skyline against an ibanez prestige and the ibanez will win while costing $2-300 less. also it seems that more people buy the imported models and I feel that this dillutes the pedigree of said boutique instrument.

20. Lim

Lim

Apr 5, 2015
    Then go for it :D Try it out if you can, that Schecter was #2 in my shortlist.