Any thoughts on the QSC PLX3602?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by m2o03, Feb 27, 2006.

1. m2o03

Feb 27, 2006
    Hello fellow TBers! i was just curious as to what you all think of this piece of equipment as i'm planning to purchase one...if there's another amp you'd recommend above this one (with similar power ratings), please enlighten me. while i do currently have the money, this is a big investment. my Pre is an early 80's Yamaha PB-1 the rig would most likely be run in stereo through a Schroeder 310212 and another cab - most likely another Schroeder
    ...i'm just checking my options. plenty of power, i know.. :hyper:

thank you!
  2. seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    It's a great amp. Transparent and Reliable.

I don't think you'll ever be able to realize the full power of this amp:

Look at the AC Mains Connection.
    For full power at 4 ohms you'd draw 40Amps.

You'd need your own circuit.

Maybe you want to look into more efficient speakers instead.
  3. m2o03

Feb 27, 2006
    Thanks for the prompt reply, Monkey. I've read that Jorg's speakers were some of the more efficient speakers, and haven't heard a single negative review from people who've owned them...they sounded like what i've been looking for..i was also looking at Accugrooves, but walked away from those as they costed a bit more than i was wanting to spend at this time...any recommendations? I play many different styles (mostly rock)...the qualities i look for - i like punch, deep low end..preferably less than 90lbs..capable of handling some serious volume but also sounding good when not blaring...

Thanks again!
  4. if you can, try a schroeder 310212 thruough a smaller power amp see if you even need the second cab and 3600 watts.
    i dont know how anyone would need 2x 3210212 and 2600 watts.
  5. seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    You always get good comments from people who buy any brand. After someone's spent hard cash it's hard to get a unbiased opinion from them.
  6. m2o03

Feb 27, 2006

I've thought about that as well...

i'm pretty much sold on the speakers; after thinking about it, it'd be pretty silly to get the 3602... a PLX2502 would suffice...i play a often times at church, clubs, outdoors and once in a while at a football arena

would the PLX2502 be a better match for the Schroeders (or accugrooves later on down the road possibly) and the Yamaha PB-1? I sure appreciate all the help...
  7. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I'm going to pull the trigger on one of the smaller ones (probably the 1804) as soon as they start shipping from someone who'll cut me the right deal. I don't know anyone who's actually heard a PLX 2 series yet. I don't think many at all have shipped so far. It's usually prudent to wait a bit on any new product so the production line is dialed in anyway, in my experience.

As far as power, a regular electrical service should be fine for the 3602 in most cases I think. I've used a 2402 and a 1602 on a regular 15 amp service together with several pieces of outboard equipment many times. The 1/8th power current draw rating on the QSC site is about right for the way I run my rigs. If you use a bunch of compression you might get conceivably get to the 1/3 power draw rating I guess, and if you do that for long enough you could trip a breaker. Seamonkey's right about you not realizing max power long term, but headroom is what you want to be looking at anyway, IMHO.

You might find some real world usage accounts on the Live Audio Board ( ). Some of the guys there are dealers who tend to see product earlier than most of the rest of us.

I agree about maybe trying one cab with something smaller than the 3602 though. My 1210 run with the PLX 2402 in bridged mode is absolutely stupid-loud and sounds great. I'm sure I could be driving much more cab than the 1210 with that amp. But in stereo mode, driving it with just one channel is only so-so though. I do think you'd likely want the 3602 if you're going stereo.
  8. seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Better check the other threads on the Schroeders.
    I wouldn't buy them. They're overrated. Some were shipped with speakers wired out of phase. Most manufacturers would actually run quality tests on their cabinets before shipping that check for simple things like this.

In another case, the Neo and standard cabinets are identical. Just the speaker swapped out. I don't know of a single standard magnet and neo magnet speaker with identical TS parameters. Straight swaps with standard ported cabinets like the Schroeders just don't work out in the real world.

QSC publishes specs on their amps, it's a shame to buy a speaker without specs.
  9. i use a plx 1602 bridged into a 1212 and thats stupid loud also, i can only imagine a 3602 into (1) 310212

10. thats some quality bashing right there.

the cabinets in question were only 3 in total.
    jorg went out of his way to make things better, as i beleive, all 3 buyers said that they were very happy with jorg.
    i think jorg even sent someone an upgraded cab with no upcharge since the first didnt work properly.
    i really havnt posted much about the schoreder cabs, but i will now.
    i have never ever experienced and read about customers service on par with jorg.
    its compaines like his that i think about when i have a rude ass customer in my store and i want to be rude back.

jorg is cool as hell, very nice, and goes out of his way to be helpful, even with people that havnt spent a dime on his products.

11. m2o03

Feb 27, 2006

That's what i gathered after reading up on some of the topics here at TB - i'm really looking forward to doing business with Jorg and ontop of the great customer service a TEN year warranty...that speaks loudly about the quality of his products.
    with the PA i'll have plenty of headroom as well, which is good. I was checking out prices on the power amps...
    the PLX2502 is priced at circa $900
    the PLX3102 is just under $1,000.
    the PLX3602 was priced at about $1,200.

as long as i've got the money, i may as well go big...$300 between the 3 models and a whopping 1100W of power...
    i don't necessarily have to use the power, but it'd be there if i ever need for some of the big gigs, it would come in pretty handy.

i know it'd be overkill for most gigs, but it WOULD be pretty sweet to have a couple big cabinets like the Schroeder 310212 powered with enough juice to put someone into cardiac arrest :bassist: haha...uhm...anyway, thanks again to everyone for the advice and everything. g'night all and God bless :hyper: