Any thoughts on the Schecter Model T?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nosedivekarma, Jul 31, 2005.

1. nosedivekarma

Jun 28, 2005
    I'm looking to buy my first bass and want to play a heavily distorted punk style. The Schecter Model T looks great and fits into my price-range of around £500 perfectly. Anyone got or played one of these and have any thoughts on it?
  2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
  3. couldn't resist could you geddy? :D
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    *whistle* check out those rims.
  5. nosedivekarma

Jun 28, 2005
    Erm, so can i conclude that that's a thumbs down?
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Itd be a great first bass.
  7. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    haha sorry man. I couldn't resist :D

But in response...I'm not too familiar with it. I'd take his word though, saying it's a great bass. It all boils down to what YOU like.
  8. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Schecter basses are generally very good for the money (esp. the Stiletto Studio series), but they're not super popular for some reason. If the Model T feels and sounds good to you, go for it. Wasn't the Model T kinda a Rob DeLeo sig model?

For a first bass, the Model T should be great and serve you well for years.
  9. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I played one recently. It was super punchy, great tone. For a first bass, it'd kick major ass.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I had one their a good bass for the money, try to get one with the EMGs or real Duncan pick ups because the Duncan design were awfull and didint do the bass any justice. All the best with it. :bassist:
  11. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    The Model T has real Duncan Basslines. The C4, C5, Ultra Bass, Scorpion bass, Stiletto Custom, and Stiletto Studio have EMG HZ.

The rest either have Duncan Designed or Schecter pickups.

Aug 1, 2005
    I own the Model T as well as as 4 other Schecter and I just Love them !!! They are the best for the money. Also prior post are correct the SD Basslines make the Model T sing !!!!!
  13. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I guess there's different versions of the Model T. The one below was advertised as a Deleo Sig, although his name is nowhere on the bass.

It differs from the Model T on the Schecter web site, in that the body is ash instead of alder, and the knob layout is different as well. The pups are "Duncan designed" on this one.

Purchased as a cheap but decent bass to take to rowdy jams, etc. It turned out to be a pretty good bass overall. The trans white on ash looks nice, and the jazz type neck plays well.

The jury is still out on the pups, tho. I'm hearing a slight metallic 'ping' sound, which may be coming from undampened pup springs (hopefully). If so, easy fix.

Used ones can be had in the $350 range, and would certainly make a good starter bass IMO.

[Edit] Just looked under the springs, just rubber pads. These pups may have to go if the 'ping' noise continues.

14. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    they are bad@ss basses especially for a beginning bass. I owned a 5 string a few years ago. Played great and had a decent PJ tone.
  15. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    There's one in my local music store.

I think Templar hit it on the mark. Like all Schecters, the workmanship is top notch. My second bass was a Stiletto Elite 4 and it was a great bass, especially for the money, but just not my type of tone.

This tone is almost the polar opposite of the bass I mentioned above, it is very vintage. The only thing it lacks is good pickups. The problem Templar mentioned above is not unique to his bass, the bass I was playing in the music store had the same problem. Supposing the pickups were dampened by springs as all pickups ought to be, the tone is still not quite there.

Like all Schecters, this bass makes a good upgrade. If you bought this bass and put in some high-quality pickups, you could have that vintage sound that people pay an obscene amount of money to get.
  16. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    I'd jump on a new sunburst Model T in a heartbeat if I hadn't already met the love of my life, my SR 490.

The Stiletto series is definitely a winner. Schecter, on the whole, is one of the most impressive 'bargain' brands. I was kinda po'ed when they changed the CV series and put those rediculous pickguards on them. I played a sunburst CV-4 at GC Chicago and it floored me... amazingly aggresive slap/finger tone. Kinda like old-school RHCP tone. I'm not too much into 'that' tone anymore, but if I were, it'd be on my wish list for sure.
  17. strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    I like the model T a lot, except that the ones I have played gave all had pick ups that weren't too good.

One other bass that you might want to keep an eye out for (if you really dig the model T) is the Robin Ranger. Looks about the same, but with an upside down headstock. As with the schecter, the workmanship is really good.
  18. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Beautiful bass!!!! Can you say G.A.S.?? :D