1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any thoughts on this pedalboard setup?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Reggae Shark, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Reggae Shark

Reggae Shark

Mar 9, 2016
    Hey, I know there are quite a lot of threads on this but looking for insights on my particular gear. I'm playing heavy rock, both clean and dirty sounds. Currently have:

1 - Wah - Boss 105Q Cry Baby Bass
    2 - Chorus - Tech 21 Bass Boost Chorus
    3 - Flanger - Boss BF-3
    4 - Fuzz - JL UDO Fuzz (locally made)
    5 - Preamp + DI - MXR M80 with parallel output to a KORG pedal tuner.

In that order. My thought was the wah first so it gets the raw signal, chorus before the flanger because sometimes I use the chorus with a deep setting but a really low rate, so it gives depth to the sound that goes into the flanger. Use them together for quiet parts where the bass sticks out. Next comes the fuzz, so it amplifies and adds some harmonics to the textures of #2 or #3 if I'm using any. Finally, the preamp. For most songs I use slight overdrive so the bass sticks through the mix (guitarists are LOUD), but some clean parts only have the EQ setting which I keep with a scooped mid, and slight bass or treble boost. Goes to both my amp (which is terrible) and the mixing board. I don't actually like the tuner in front of everything, I don't mind sound coming out while I tune.

I know the post is a bit vague, but it's just because I haven't tested this setup yet and I'm a bit inexperienced, so looking for any suggestions/thoughts on the order of the signal chain, and also tips on how to create some cools sounds with this particular set of effects. Also, am using a Squier Jazz Bass (VM series).

Thanks!

2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Usual order is to put the overdrives, distortion, and fuzz pedals early in the chain before the modulation pedals. Theory being that those pedals add additional frequency content to your signal so that gives everything else down the chain a richer and harmonically more complex a signal to work with.

I'd probably initially set it up as: fuzz> wah> chorus> flanger> preamp and see how that goes first. But that's me.

There's no right way. Whatever sounds good to you is the right sequence. However, not putting the tuner first makes a lot of work for your tuner and you may get erroneous results if it's getting signal from anything other than just your bass.

I'd also suggest you skip getting any more pedals until you get yourself an amp you can be happy with. Bank the cash from your pedal budget and save up for a good amp. The best advice I was ever given regarding equipment was: Don't spend money on pedals when what you really need is a better amp.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    If it were me, that's the order I'd put them in. However, I've never tested this stuff that 40hz is talking about, and I might just do that when I have time.

As for the tuner, I keep it last, mostly because it has to cover electric and upright, and my separate signals for each doing join together until the end. Doesn't affect its performance in the least...I can turn my effects off when I'm tuning :D

4. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I always want my fuzz before the time-based effects (chorus & flanger in OP's case), and it would depend on how extreme that fuzz is -- and what my goals were -- as to whether I'd want it before or after the wah.

5. Reggae Shark

Reggae Shark

Mar 9, 2016
    Nice, thanks for the input everyone!

6. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Ellicott City, MD
    Endorsing: Spector Bass Guitars
    I always put my wah (now a dual dynamic filter) at the end of the chain. You get so much more 'raw wah' when there's content for it to work with, rather than just a clean bass tone.

I also put my limiters, comps and EQ towards the end as well.. shrug.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021