Any thoughts on what a bass like this would sell for? Pre-CBS Pbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MuthaFunk, Oct 13, 2016.

1. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Per the forum rules, you must be a paying, supporting member to post "What's it worth?" threads.

2. Oh! No prob. I'll sign up.

*Edit - done! Supporting member now. Just waiting for my account to be upgraded.

mark beem likes this.
  3. I guess this isn't a hot topic huh? LOL!

4. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Sorry.. I am completely ignorant regarding prices on these old beauties.

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I cannot help you with your quote but I can help page some folks who are into old Fenders.

@thebrian @narud

I am sure some more I am forgetting will come along. Best of luck boss.

6. Dluxe

Dluxe Guest

Jan 9, 2011
    2 years ago I bought a refinished '61 Precision for 3k.

7. Short answer is it is worth more restored than when you got,
    but less than it would be if all original.
    Complete WAG, 3-6K.

Ghastly likes this.
  8. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Ravenholm
    I'll take a stab and say maybe $6+ grand, if all the hardware has been restored with original vintage bits. Beautiful restoration, BTW.

9. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Seriously? :eyebrow:

10. beaglesandbass

beaglesandbass Think first, then post? Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Yes and no. If someone's intent is buying a bass, they are allowed to ask the community for opinions on whether or not they are getting a good deal or getting ripped off. The threads are not allowed if it is gear the non-supporting member already owns. Those threads are just viewed as a thinly veiled way of getting around the rule that you must be supporting member to sell things on TB, which is why new threads in the classifieds can only be started by supporting members.

GregC likes this.
  11. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef is modulating in time. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    A refinished/restored pre-CBS Fender is worth roughly about 60% of what an all original bass is worth, if the original parts are all there. A '63 sunburst in 100% original (and nice) condition will realistically sell in the $6000-6500 range fairly easily. Looks like your bass is pretty complete with the exception of a pot, so I'd give it a value of about $3500 in it's restored condition. It could go for a little more, depending on how it plays, sounds, and if someone just really wanted it.

GregC and JIO like this.
  12. Thanks for the insight gents! For the record, this particular bass is not going up for sale. I really was just curious and wanted to use it as justification to my wife to support my vintage bass "investment" hobby. I'm a player first but under the rouse of investment I can get the green light on more purchases. ;)