Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any tips for cleaning/protecting maple fretboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Groundloop, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Over the last few months I've noticed a growing amount of pale gray discoloration on the G string side of the fretboard on my Lakland 55-02, mostly between the 4th and 10th frets. Any ideas how to clean this off, and an easy protective finish (Tru Oil?) to keep it from recurring?

Thanks in advance.

2. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    heh, I've gotten the same thing on my fretless maple board and I finally got sick of it and sanded it down. Sadly, I don't think you can do that with a fretless, but clean it, then use some orange oil and that might help. I'm going to use Tung Oil to protect my board, but again, not sure if this will work on a fretted board.

Greg

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Lighter fluid (napthalene) works well for removing finger funk from a maple fingerboard.

Check out the Ernie Ball site too...I believe that they have instructions for cleaning up maple fingerboards.