Any tips for job interviews/resumes??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by invisiman, Jun 14, 2004.

1. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    It's about that time for me to get a summer job (first job as well), and I was wondering if you guys had any advice regarding the working world, and how to break into it.

Any and all help is appreciated!! :cool:
  2. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    What types of jobs do you plan on applying to?
  3. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    ^ That would be important info.

But generally speaking, your resume is really important (of course) so I would make sure to spend a lot of time thinking through what you put into it. During the interview, they will more than likely ask you questions based off of your resume, so make sure you know what you wrote! It's funny, that some of this seems so obvious, but I've interviewed quite a few people for positions in my company and you would be surprised how many people put conflicting information down and when you interview them it doesn't look very good. I've not hired people based on weird 'flubs' on their resume because it just gives the impression that the person is either:
    1. Not attentive to detail
    2. Dishonest

Neither of which is an impression you want to leave. During the interview, the main things to remember are to ALWAYS remain businesslike regardless of what the interviewer is doing. I'm not saying be stiff, but just make sure you keep it appropriate, watch what jokes you tell, don't cuss, etc. Again, you would be surprised at how many people 'let loose' in interviews and it really leaves a negative impression. Even if the hiring team is lighthearted, I would say it is better to err on the side of professionalism.

Dress appropriately, make eye contact, etc etc. A lot of this is pretty basic stuff, the main thing I would say is to be yourself and don't act fake. It is painfully obvious when someone is trying to say the right thing instead of saying what they really want to say. And again, that leaves a negative impression, same with someone that is overly stiff with quick, sharp answers. Remember too that a lot of the time (not always) the person(s) interviewing you are going to be working with you and want someone that they can enjoy being around day in/day out. That really does weigh into the decision making process and 9/10 times the more charming (for lack of a better word) person will be hired.

Anyway, it's hard to get any more specific without knowing the type of jobs you're looking into.

Holy crap, sorry for the novel....
  4. if it's at a fast food place say how much u like their product or something

say how much you like what the people that work there do, but only if u mean it.
  5. ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    How 'bout if it's an interview for a college course.Apperaing in one in two days,so........
  6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun

Don't be afraid to dress up beyond what you would actually wear in the workplace. Show some class, style, and fine threads. It will set you apart.

Don't be afraid to talk yourself up. Not to the point of arrogance, but show strong confidence. Be prepared to back this up with examples. Read this again.

Interview them. Ask questions. It shows initiative and genuine interest in their organization.

Get background on the place, study up. This applies less to getting a fry guy job at McD's, but is mandatory pre-work for an interview in a more professional job. Know your potential employer!
  7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Be prepared for the unexpected questions. I went in for an interview last thursday (got the job yesterday! yay! :hyper: ), and right in the middle of a conversation about me selling guitars, I get hit with the request for a two-minute conversation on why I should be hired. I was like a deer in headlights.
  8. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Show a little leg and cleavage, but don't LOOK like you're trying to show a little leg and cleavage. :ninja:
  9. My mom gave me a book once called "60 Seconds: You're Hired!" (nice hint, mom!) There were lots of activities like listing all the skills you have that don't relate to the job etc. but the main thrust of the book was, spend some time thinking about what the potential employer likle wants in an employee for that job, then figure out your top 5 selling points and work them into your answer for every question they ask.

This sounds a bit disingenuous, but it works.

Also, some interviewers will ask you tricky questions, like "Tell me about a time where you made a mistake at work, and how you resolved it." or "Tell me about a time when you had serious conflicts with someone at work, and how you resolved it." It pays to be prepared for these kinds of questions - it can be very hard to spin your answer to your advantage on the spot if they surprise you with one of these. It's OK to admit honest mistakes, but don't cop to anything that could indicate negligence, laziness or apathy on your part. And avoid out-and-out blaming other people, especially your former bosses. Try to figure out how to spin these answers toward your 5 selling points. The point is, try to figure out how the mistake makes you look better in the long run, rather than worse. Related to that, DON'T LIE. If you have an experience with accidentally selling a bunch of stuff at cost in a former job, don't say you volunteered to make a reference book for the other employees to help them avoid the same problem unless you actually did. They might check, after all.