1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any tips for picking/opening locks on a new Fender case?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Thunderhead, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Thunderhead

Thunderhead

Apr 5, 2008
    Indiana
    I just received a new Fender case for my Precision from Musician's Friend. When I unpacked it, there were no keys to be found. The case is locked.

I contacted MF to ask how they normally ship the keys, and was told that they ship them inside the unlocked case, and that sometimes they "lock during shipping". I was advised to heat the lock with a hair dryer & that might do the trick, but I wonder if that might damage the tolex?

I think I may take a stab at it tonight with a paper clip. I just don't understand why, if it's a known issue, they don't just ship the keys OUTSIDE the case... :scowl:

Suggestions?

2. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Thunderhead, I don't mean any disrespect by this. But are you aware that the latch handles have two parts? The visible outer one, and another one underneath that you have to pull outwards toward yourself to unhook the latch.

I'm not trying to be a smart### at all. But if you're not familiar with the new-styled case, you might not realize that. It might not actually be locked. If you already know that and have verified that it is in fact locked, I apologize.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Don't damage your case or locks. Just take it to a local music store, they'll have some keys you can use. There are only like 4 variations or so. They'll most likely have one to fit and pop it open for you.

4. Thunderhead

Thunderhead

Apr 5, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks guys.

Jeff K, no offense taken. I hope you are right, and I've just overlooked something simple. I actually am not familiar with the Fender cases.

I'm at work right now (don't tell the boss ;) ), but all I remember seeing are the latches & keyholes on each end. The latches won't budge with light/moderate force. I didn't want to damage anything. I'll check again when I get home tonight.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, cases use standard luggage lock keys... I carry the two most common on my keyring JUST IN CASE. Good luck!

6. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Did you ever get it straightened out, Thunderhead?

7. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    stanley-fubar-site.

8. Thunderhead

Thunderhead

Apr 5, 2008
    Indiana
    Yep, one trip to the music store later, all is good.