Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any tips for recording vocals with Boss BR-532?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Bob C, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I just got this machine. So far, for the vocals I've only used the built in mic. They sound surprisingly good, although a bit thin and distant.

Obviously, a better mic would help. Would an SM58, or something in that price range make a considerable improvement? What does anyone else out there use?

Any suggestions on tweaking the algorhythms? I edited insert effect U01 (compressor),adding "doubl'n" and a slight delay at around 160 (milliseconds?). I think you can only use one modulation effect at a time. Is that right?

I've added reverb on the loop effects too. All of this helped, but the vocals don't have the presence that my guitar and bass tracks have. Mic proximity wasn't the answer either.

This is my first song with this machine, and it sounds pretty good. But I know the unit is capable of more - without making it into an over-proccessed mess.

Thanks,

Bob

2. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Of course another mic will definantly help. Try an outside pre-amp. But I bet a better mic will help. I don't think that biult in mic was made to sound better and clearer then a line in from a guitar. HAve fun!

3. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Johnalex,

Yeah, I have an SM58 I'm going to try next time I remember to bring it home.

As I said, the built in mic actually sounds better than you'd expect. But now I want to see if I can make a huge improvement with minimal expense.

Bob

4. Our band's guitarist has a similar Boss digital ministudio.

He recorded vocals with an AKG C2000B mic (~180$), and an ART Tube mic preamp (~80$). Sing 10" from the mic.

Oh my ..... oh, my....

:eek:

did it sound good..... Very good!!

If you use an SM58, stay close to capture the lows.

Good luck!!

B

5. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
  6. wallyburger

wallyburger

Jan 13, 2003
    Detroit MI
    The Oktava 319 is going for ridiculiously low prices at present at both musiciansfriend and zzounds. Warm, sweet, and full. A very nice vocal mic for studio use.

7. Our drummer / soundman just bought an Oktava, I believe it's the 319, and we've used it to mic a guitar amp (thru the PA).

Sounds hella good.

b

8. wallyburger

wallyburger

Jan 13, 2003
    Detroit MI
    For Guitar amp try the Oktava KM012. If you liked the sound from the 319, the 012 will blow you away for recording from amp or accustic!